2019-2020 Live Chat #5 - Work/Life Balance (2018 Alumna)

Stephanie Vose

Yorka Munoz
2 minutes ago, Marangelie Criado Marrero said:

And still, the quarantine is different for everyone as well. Some may have more time to write and be productive with no interruptions. But having a baby at home and try to focus is very challenging. It gets even more difficult when you are breastfeeding. 

I know is difficult to be productive having a baby at home. Try to make a schedule! or have a routine as you can.  

Edited by Yorka Munoz

Yorka Munoz
37 minutes ago, Aneisha Lewis said:

I definitely am as we aren't doing experimental work at the moment. But writing papers requires such a level of focus and dedication that is hard to manage when your home life is taking forefront with child care issues and family life.

For sure. But try to be productive when child is sleeping, is difficult, i know. I don't have child but some co-workers have and I saw it, they can sleep good and affect a lot the efficiency at work

Edited by Yorka Munoz

Yorka Munoz
Just now, Maira Bicca said:

Thank you so very much Yorka!

I tried to do my best. Thank to connecting and I hope you can manage the isolation in the best was as possible

Ricardo Augusto Leoni de Sousa
3 minutes ago, Julian Naizaque said:

@Ricardo De Sousa It's amazing to hear that. How do you plan your time to write so effectively? what could you suggest?

First of all, I contacted people from my lab and other institutions that i am friend with and invited them to write a review. I had some ideas that I did not have time to write about it due to the lab routine. So, after they accepted the invitation , I started writing my articles. Gave tasks, specific topics to my friends write about , in their expertise field. This made the articles to be writen extremely fast because everybody had a specific topic to write about it. Of course, i wrote more than my friends. But this iniative also gave some benefits. As i invited my friends to write in 2 review articles, they also invited me colaborate.

I believe that if you are not going to the lab, you can organize your 8 regular working hours to write something. It would be more than enough if you are focused. People are different, so i suggest that you do and plan your routine in a way that you feel confortable and happy to work with, without charging yourself for instant results

Isis Nem De Oliveira Souza

Thank you for your time, Yorka and for everyone's as well! It's been a really nice chat. Be safe and don't be so hard on yourselves! haha

Yorka Munoz
5 minutes ago, Stephanie Vose said:

This has been a very engaging live chat with Dr. @Yorka Munoz! The live chat officially ends at 1:00pm EDT. Feel free to continue the conversation! 

You can download this Community User Guide if you have questions about navigating and using the LATP Community. Invision - Community User Guide.pdf

Thank you Stephanie for this opportunity. I tried to do my best and answered all the questions but it had a lot.

Yorka Munoz
33 minutes ago, Maria Gonzalez-Gonzalez said:

I think always is very important to document your work (lab notebooks), but now becomes more important, create tools that allow the team (and mentor or sponsor) to be aware on what is doing everyone, so there are not doubts about it. That shouldn´t happen if there is confidence in the team, however as the PI has to justify payment of people, students, postdocs, etc have to justify with demonstrated work... during these times: electronically ... we are using Production Gantt charts (Asana) with clear aims for everyone in the team.

Maria, it is very important that you mention. Thanks, I am going to use Asana

Yorka Munoz
16 minutes ago, Stephanie Vose said:

Hi @Yorka Munoz i am keeping track and "recommending" comments for you to reply to. they should be outlined in ORANGE and also collecting at the top of your page. you may need to refresh the page. Make sure you are the most current page of the live chat (right now we are in page 2 of 2 pages)

I saw it and I replied them. It is difficult to follow all the questions. It was useful to put it in orange because I was reading many messages and sometimes I doubted about if I answered already.

• Like 1

Yorka Munoz
10 minutes ago, Ricardo De Sousa said:

First of all, I contacted people from my lab and other institutions that i am friend with and invited them to write a review. I had some ideas that I did not have time to write about it due to the lab routine. So, after they accepted the invitation , I started writing my articles. Gave tasks, specific topics to my friends write about , in their expertise field. This made the articles to be writen extremely fast because everybody had a specific topic to write about it. Of course, i wrote more than my friends. But this iniative also gave some benefits. As i invited my friends to write in 2 review articles, they also invited me colaborate.

I believe that if you are not going to the lab, you can organize your 8 regular working hours to write something. It would be more than enough if you are focused. People are different, so i suggest that you do and plan your routine in a way that you feel confortable and happy to work with, without charging yourself for instant results

that is a very good way to be productive. 

• Thanks 1

Stephanie Vose
3 minutes ago, Yorka Munoz said:

I saw it and I replied them. It is difficult to follow all the questions. It was useful to put it in orange because I was reading many messages and sometimes I doubted about if I answered already.

Hi Yorka, I understand! Please leave us your feedback in the survey that I recently emailed you. It helps us improve future chats for the audience and the hosts! Thank you again so much for your time. 

Yorka Munoz
4 minutes ago, Julian Naizaque said:

Thanks Yorka for your time and your advices! Thanks to everyone it was a good roundtable

thanks Julian to connect to this chat live. Stay at home 

Yorka Munoz
Just now, Stephanie Vose said:

Hi Yorka, I understand! Please leave us your feedback in the survey that I recently emailed you. It helps us improve future chats for the audience and the hosts! Thank you again so much for your time. 

Thank you for inviting me. I will answer the survey.

Jenny Banguero

Good afternoon Yorka, I would like to ask you how your university and the organization that finances your project are facing this global quarantine. In some universities we are at home without being able to do laboratory work. What have they told you regarding delivery times, financing, among other things? Thank you for your contributions.

Yorka Munoz
5 minutes ago, Jenny Banguero said:

Good afternoon Yorka, I would like to ask you how your university and the organization that finances your project are facing this global quarantine. In some universities we are at home without being able to do laboratory work. What have they told you regarding delivery times, financing, among other things? Thank you for your contributions.

it is a difficult question to answer. McGill at least said they going to pay to all PhD and postdocs during the quarentine. It is not the same in all places. Nobody could realize the impact of the pandemia in the economy, so, I am not sure what will happen in the next months. I guess if you can demostrate that you are working at home, maybe writing papers or grants, PIs can justify the pay cheqs.

7 minutes ago, Ricardo De Sousa said:

Thanks @Yorka Munoz for sharing your awesome experience and for all tips and advices. Take care

take care Ricardo. Thanks for joining us.

Edited by Yorka Munoz

• Stephanie Vose unpinned this topic
  • Stephanie Vose unfeatured this topic