2019-2020 Live Chat #5 - Work/Life Balance (2018 Alumna)

Stephanie Vose

Juan Zegers
1 minute ago, Maira Bicca said:

Here at Hopkins we can not perform any experiments at all. The university is officially shut down until Mid May. I am working on writing a revision article regarding the subject of my research, In this way, I can use this afterwards for grants and the actual paper. I would recommend that to PhD and Master students as well. It might save time when you actually have to write the dissertation or the thesis. 

HI maria ! In Chile we are in the same situation, my university shot down everything and we suspect that we are not be allowed to return until late agust. I m tried to do the same as you but at some point i think m loosing my nerves. 

• Like 1

Stephanie Vose
1 minute ago, Raquel Maria Campos said:

I don't know what happened

I think it's just when you quote someone else's comment . Here is a screenshot

image.png

Manuel Giraldo Velasquez
6 minutes ago, Yorka Munoz said:

you need to try to organize your time. Be focused, have a routine

In my opinion, I think it is very important when we talk about work/life balance, taking into account how we manage our time, when we do not know how to manage our time, we will have very strenuous work days, if we work a lot, we will have less time to do other activities such as personal care or leisure.

• Like 1

Yorka Munoz
8 minutes ago, Marangelie Criado Marrero said:

Hi Yorka, I believe that it is possible to have a work/life balance, but I have seen that it depends a lot on the expectations, lab project, and dynamic of the lab. I have friends doing Bioinformatics and for them there is no issue. I am a postdoc working on Alzheimer's research and it has been quite difficult to have that balance and keep applying for fellowships and grants. Any suggestions on how to keep it up with the funding and goals?

Everything depends of your environment. I know that it is difficult to keep the balance, I am postdoc too and I have to do a lot of experiments for different projects but you have to make a schedule and try to advance in all topics. Maybe if you decide that in one day of the week you can just put your focus in pubmed, it could be easier to manage the pressure

• Like 1

Aneisha Lewis
2 minutes ago, Raquel Maria Campos said:

Are anyone here feeling a pressure form your sponsor to be productive and write papers and do webseminars and be the most productive ever in this quarentine? I have some friends are very anxious during quarentine and are not handling this. Do you have any advice for that or some similar is happening to you @Yorka Munoz

I definitely am as we aren't doing experimental work at the moment. But writing papers requires such a level of focus and dedication that is hard to manage when your home life is taking forefront with child care issues and family life.

Maria A. González-González
3 minutes ago, Maira Bicca said:

Really importante topics!!!

We should definitely address this. I would add to topic number 1 anxiety crisis that are getting more and more common due to the lock down, not only in previously depression diagnosed people. I myself have struggled with anxiety a few weeks ago. 

@Maira Bicca absolutely (topic 1), I think it is very common as part of our dynamic in scince, taht we are not used to stop, so we are now facing a forced situation to that. Which alternatives can we have? there is nothing to do about experimental activities (that requires presence at Lab), but what about exploring writing grant resources?  that is very important  ... how many of you have started writing a grant?

• Like 1

Yorka Munoz
19 minutes ago, Aneisha Lewis said:

Hi @Yorka Munoz. I'm Aneisha Lewis, PhD student at The University of the West Indies, Trinidad. Work/life balance is super important to me but during this COVID-19 situation, we have no access to labs as per government regulations. Is this similar for you and what suggestions do you all have for managing the anxiety of basically having your project at a standstill?

The anxiety issue is difficult to manage. You need to know yourself. Maybe you can make yoga and play a sport some days during the week and have a routine to work at home

• Like 1

Maira Bicca
1 minute ago, Juan Zegers said:

HI maria ! In Chile we are in the same situation, my university shot down everything and we suspect that we are not be allowed to return until late agust. I m tried to do the same as you but at some point i think m loosing my nerves. 

For sure! There are days and days, but as Maria was mentioning before, I feel like a real struggle for woman that have kids, as it is very hard to focus and keep schedules. We all react differently as well to the isolation because of our different personalities and coping behavior, but I also fee because it seems it will be like this for a while at some point or another everyone will kind of loose their minds a bit. 

• Like 2

Yorka Munoz
14 minutes ago, Manuel Giraldo Velasquez said:

I believe that many times we do not see our home as a workplace, perhaps because we have many distractions or we spend our times in other activities however, with a little discipline we can see our home as an excellent workplace.

for sure, have a routine is the most efficient way to keep you alert and motivated. But, try to make yoga could be good because you don't need to go out of home to do that

• Like 1

Ricardo Augusto Leoni de Sousa
5 minutes ago, Raquel Maria Campos said:

Are anyone here feeling a pressure form your sponsor to be productive and write papers and do webseminars and be the most productive ever in this quarentine? I have some friends are very anxious during quarentine and are not handling this. Do you have any advice for that or some similar is happening to you @Yorka Munoz

Sponsors, in general, always put us under pressure, don't they? I do not mind working , but the constant pressure ... if you write 1 article, they will ask you to write 2... if you write 2 they will ask you to write 4. This type of atitude drives me crazy. You can demand things to be done, but you do not need transform them at something harmful, that people will get anxious trying to sort it out... not everybody can work well under these conditions. I do not mind at all all the pressure, but sometimes is really too much

• Like 2

Marangelie Criado Marrero

We should start by saying that everyone has their own definition of "work/life" balance. This goes with my previous comment. It depends on the expectations. I read the comments and see that some consider working weekends as part of their balance and others focused to be organized on weekdays. This is the same as the expectations from a PhD or postdoc. Some PIs believe that you should do experiments at the lab (including weekends) and write at home (no personal life!). This should NOT be our norm, but it is widely accepted. 

• Like 4

Just now, Aneisha Lewis said:

I definitely am as we aren't doing experimental work at the moment. But writing papers requires such a level of focus and dedication that is hard to manage when your home life is taking forefront with child care issues and family life.

I think always is very important to document your work (lab notebooks), but now becomes more important, create tools that allow the team (and mentor or sponsor) to be aware on what is doing everyone, so there are not doubts about it. That shouldn´t happen if there is confidence in the team, however as the PI has to justify payment of people, students, postdocs, etc have to justify with demonstrated work... during these times: electronically ... we are using Production Gantt charts (Asana) with clear aims for everyone in the team. 

• Like 1

Yorka Munoz
1 hour ago, Manuel Giraldo Velasquez said:

I believe that many times we do not see our home as a workplace, perhaps because we have many distractions or we spend our times in other activities however, with a little discipline we can see our home as an excellent workplace.

Workplace has to be a place without distractions like bed or food. I think in this quarentine time, take a look of pubmed could be a stimulating for your brain. The idea is not be laisy because it would be difficult to come back to the lab if you are not put your mind in focus so long time

Edited by Yorka Munoz

Maira Bicca
2 minutes ago, Yorka Munoz said:

for sure, have a routine is the most efficient way to keep you alert and motivated. But, try to make yoga could be good because you don't need to go out of home to do that

That what is working greatly for me!

Yorka Munoz
14 minutes ago, Rodrigo Paz said:

Hello Yorka, thank you for sharing with us. I'm Rodrigo from Buenos Aires. Was there any particular situation that made you realize you had lost your life/work balance? 

In some moment during my PhD I expended long hours in the lab (more than 12 hr) and I felt very tired to go there even during the weekend. So , in that moment I felt that I need to do something for my health and I decided to leran to swimm. It was my best decision ever. I lost stress and I felt very happy to improve my swimming performance.

• Like 2

Maira Bicca
1 minute ago, Maria Gonzalez-Gonzalez said:

I think always is very important to document your work (lab notebooks), but now becomes more important, create tools that allow the team (and mentor or sponsor) to be aware on what is doing everyone, so there are not doubts about it. That shouldn´t happen if there is confidence in the team, however as the PI has to justify payment of people, students, postdocs, etc have to justify with demonstrated work... during these times: electronically ... we are using Production Gantt charts (Asana) with clear aims for everyone in the team. 

That is a good idea! How frequently you guys do meetings with your lab?

13 minutes ago, Raquel Maria Campos said:

• Like 1

Yorka Munoz
17 minutes ago, Ricardo De Sousa said:

I believe that working and personal life balance depends on the person. It will not be the same for everybody. For example, I am used and I like to work sunday to sunday. I am not saying that i work 10 hours every sunday, but at least  4 hours working on sundays is pretty normal to me on regular basis. Usually, I work on manuscripts, if i am not writing one i will look for an intersting gap to write a review article or will look for a grant... the thing is I always work on weekends.  I know that not everybody would find it nice or healthy, but i enjoy it. Do you think i am not managing well the work and personal balance? Do you think there is an imbalance ?

For sure.  I don't like to go to the lab during the weekend but sometimes you need to do. I tried to make everything during the week and I respect my free time just going to hike or watching a movie, enjoying time with friends. It is important to know yourself what is the situation that you feel good. Maybe less hours during the week and you can go everyday to the lab o maybe just to organize your time in advance, so, you can afford a lot of free time for yourself

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Maria Gonzalez-Gonzalez said:

@Maira Bicca absolutely (topic 1), I think it is very common as part of our dynamic in scince, taht we are not used to stop, so we are now facing a forced situation to that. Which alternatives can we have? there is nothing to do about experimental activities (that requires presence at Lab), but what about exploring writing grant resources?  that is very important  ... how many of you have started writing a grant?

Just submitted one yesterday hahahaha the quaretine period has been very useful to me. 

Edited by Ricardo De Sousa
grammar
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maira Bicca said:

That is a good idea! How frequently you guys do meetings with your lab?

Every other week all the group, and one-one meeting with students every other week as well, and we have communication tools for daily bases, example slack. 

• Like 1

Yorka Munoz
16 minutes ago, Raquel Maria Campos said:

It is not my case but I heard some PIs have been trying to put pressure to PhD students, but, quarentine is a difficult situation to everyone, so not all people feel the same. Some people feel more depressive for long term, so, you need to try to keep your mind attentive. It is good to make a search in pubmed about related topics, try to make new connections. But nobody expects that you render in the same way than normal situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ricardo De Sousa said:

Jus submitted one yestarday hahahaha the quaretine period has been very useful to me. 

Awesome, for me as well, it is convenient because I needed time for writing papers and grants... that mantains me positive and bussy 😃

• Like 2

Yorka Munoz
Just now, Yorka Munoz said:

It is not my case but I heard some PIs have been trying to put pressure to PhD students, but, quarentine is a difficult situation to everyone, so not all people feel the same. Some people feel more depressive for long term, so, you need to try to keep your mind attentive. It is good to make a search in pubmed about related topics, try to make new connections. But nobody expects that you render in the same way than normal situation.
  • Like 1

Julian Naizaque
Just now, Maria Gonzalez-Gonzalez said:

Every other week all the group, and one-one meeting with students every other week as well, and we have communication tools for daily bases, example slack. 

Hi Maria! You mentioned two tools (Asana and Slack) what are this two about? how do you use these in your lab?

• Like 3

Stephanie Vose
3 minutes ago, Yorka Munoz said:

this was in response to @Raquel Maria Campos

Yorka Munoz
20 minutes ago, Maria Gonzalez-Gonzalez said:

I am not starting a grant but now, it is a good time to start a grant. Pubmed is available and you just need to spend time looking for information and connect some ideas and write a grant. You can make the quarentine a very productive time if you have a schedule

Edited by Yorka Munoz

Just now, Julian Naizaque said:

Hi Maria! You mentioned two tools (Asana and Slack) what are this two about? how do you use these in your lab?

@Julian Naizaque Asana, the basic version is free and is a very versatile tool to make Gantt charts and have timeline of your projects, you can colaborate with more people in one account so you can have track of projects and asign tasks... plus everything is documented and keep you organized... plus reduces anxiety haha because you can plan and have organized in your mind your daily assignements and activities. 

Slack is as whatsap group, but with more functions, you can also share files.... this app is also free. 

• Like 2

Yorka Munoz
8 minutes ago, Ricardo De Sousa said:

Just submitted one yesterday hahahaha the quaretine period has been very useful to me. 

that is good Ricardo, try to keep the rhythm

• Like 1

Juan Zegers
1 minute ago, Maria Gonzalez-Gonzalez said:

@Julian Naizaque Asana, the basic version is free and is a very versatile tool to make Gantt charts and have timeline of your projects, you can colaborate with more people in one account so you can have track of projects and asign tasks... plus everything is documented and keep you organized... plus reduces anxiety haha because you can plan and have organized in your mind your daily assignements and activities. 

Slack is as whatsap group, but with more functions, you can also share files.... this app is also free. 

Thanks for sharing !! it will be really usefull for me and my lab mates 

• Like 1

Yorka Munoz
12 minutes ago, Maria Gonzalez-Gonzalez said:

Every week all the group, once with the PI, we used slack too the make a plan or just to share pdf, news. Slack is free and we made videoconferences using zoom

Edited by Yorka Munoz

Julian Naizaque
3 minutes ago, Maria Gonzalez-Gonzalez said:

Thanks for this info! I've never heard about it.

Yorka Munoz
4 minutes ago, Julian Naizaque said:

@Yorka Munoz how do you organize your time for sports (swimming)? tell us more about your experience with this.

I applied for the swimming course in the faculty, so I did 3 time for week during the year. Before, I tried to do crossfit but there was some problems and the instructor left the course. For me, swimming added a new challenge in my life and it was very good. Maybe just to ride your bike or yoga can be good in these time

• Like 2

Just now, Yorka Munoz said:

that is good Ricardo, try to keep the rhythm

Thanks, will do! I already wrote 1 original, 2 review articles (1 is already submitted and the other I hope to be finishing in 2 weeks) and 1 grant during this quarentine. I also participated of other review article of a friend (wrote my part and now I am waiting for them to finish the article). Is has been an amazing period at home. I am getting to do a few things that it would take me the whole year probably

• Like 1

Yorka Munoz
Just now, Ricardo De Sousa said:

Thanks, will do! I already wrote 1 original, 2 review articles (1 is already submitted and the other I hope to be finishing in 2 weeks) and 1 grant during this quarentine. I also participated of other review article of a friend (wrote my part and now I am waiting for them to finish the article). Is has been an amazing period at home. I am getting to do a few things that it would take me the whole year probably

that sounds very productive!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Maria Gonzalez-Gonzalez said:

thanks for the information. I will double check on it. Seems to be very nice

• Like 1

Stephanie Vose
5 minutes ago, Yorka Munoz said:

Sorry guys, I have a lot of messages and I don't know if I forgot some of old messages

Hi @Yorka Munoz i am keeping track and "recommending" comments for you to reply to. they should be outlined in ORANGE and also collecting at the top of your page. you may need to refresh the page. Make sure you are the most current page of the live chat (right now we are in page 2 of 2 pages)

Julian Naizaque
2 minutes ago, Ricardo De Sousa said:

@Ricardo De Sousa It's amazing to hear that. How do you plan your time to write so effectively? what could you suggest?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Yorka Munoz said:

Sorry guys, I have a lot of messages and I don't know if I forgot some of old messages

the questions are marked with a red star and have a red border in the rectangle. I think Stephanie Vose is marking them to you

• Like 1

Yorka Munoz
23 minutes ago, Marangelie Criado Marrero said:

We should start by saying that everyone has their own definition of "work/life" balance. This goes with my previous comment. It depends on the expectations. I read the comments and see that some consider working weekends as part of their balance and others focused to be organized on weekdays. This is the same as the expectations from a PhD or postdoc. Some PIs believe that you should do experiments at the lab (including weekends) and write at home (no personal life!). This should NOT be our norm, but it is widely accepted. 

yes, it is true. My PI doesn't force me to work at home or go during weekends. For him it is important to realize how much work you didi during the month but not all PIs are the same. In my opinion, if you organize your time, make a routine, plan your experiments in advance, you will have time to play a sport and enjoy time for your belovers. Sometimes, my swimming course was between experiments but I could find a balance

• Like 1

Marangelie Criado Marrero
23 minutes ago, Marangelie Criado Marrero said:

And still, the quarantine is different for everyone as well. Some may have more time to write and be productive with no interruptions. But having a baby at home and try to focus is very challenging. It gets even more difficult when you are breastfeeding. 

• Like 1

Yorka Munoz
3 minutes ago, Maria Gonzalez-Gonzalez said:

Yep, I still not understand the threads and reply ... doing my best

it was difficult to try to answer all the questions. Sorry if I couldn't answer your questions. You can write me to muy email if you have questions

• Like 1

Yorka Munoz

Sorry if I couldn't answer all your questions. If you need more details or have more questions don't hesitate to ask me to my email:

yorka.munoz@ug.uchile.cl   or

yorka.munozmunoz@mail.mcgill.ca

• Like 1