2019-2020 Live Chat #2 - IBRO/USCRC Fellowship Experience (2016 LATP Alum)

Stephanie Vose

Stephanie Vose

Dulce María Arzate @Dulce Arzate, a 2016 LATP Fellow, will share their IBRO/USCRC fellowship experience at MBL and lead a discussion about obtaining an IBRO/USCRC fellowship and how it impacted their career and professional development. This live chat will take place on the LATP Community page on Monday, January 27 from 4pm to 5pm ET.

Dulce María Arzate is a Chemist from the Universidad Autónoma de Ciudad Juárez, M.Sc. (Neurobiology) from the Instituto de Neurobiología, UNAM and Ph.D. from the Instituto de Biotecnología, UNAM. She is interested in elucidating the regenerative ability of the adult brain and study the glial cells as a potential source of precursor cells. Nowadays, she works as a professor at the Universidad Autónoma de Ciudad Juárez. In 2017, Dr. Arzate obtained a fellowship to attend the SCARE course at the Marine Biological Laboratory. Dr. Arzate will discuss the application process, her experience at the course, and the impact it had on her career and professional development. 

Please feel free to begin leaving your comments and questions below! 

Conversation Starters:

• What courses at the Marine Biological Laboratory or Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory would you be interested in taking? 
  • Funding and financial aid to attend courses 
  • Networking and cultural differences 
  • Visa process for international students 
  • Opportunities as a result of attending courses

• Stephanie Vose pinned this topic
Stephanie Vose

Good afternoon LATP scholars! We look forward to welcoming Dulce María Arzate @Dulce Arzate, 2016 LATP Fellow, for our second live chat today! Dulce will start the conversation with an introduction and share her IBRO/USCRC fellowship experience at MBL, the application process to MBL courses and how it impacted her career and professional development

Come prepared with your questions and personal experiences to share! 

• Like 2

Hello!

As Stephanie mentioned in her kind introduction, I'm a Chemist with postgraduate studies in Neuroscience. After the 2016 LATP in Uruguay, I received and invitation from SfN to take a course fellowship. I could select any specialized course in the US, so I chose the SCARE course at MBL

• Like 2

I chose that course because I'm specially interested in the neurogenic potential of the adult brain and I wanted to know more about what happen in another species and their experimental approaches. However, if you visit the MBL webpage, you would find more neuroscience courses https://www.mbl.edu/education/courses/

Just now, Dulce Arzate said:

Frontiers in Stem Cells & Regeneration

Application is very easy, they ask for your CV, your goals, mentor biosketch, and two recommendation letters

• Like 1

Matias Mugnaini

Exactly what kind of effects attending a MBL course had in your professional life? I imagine that were a lot, but can you comment on some of the more relevant to you?

• Like 1

Just now, Andrew Chen said:

Hi @Dulce Arzate! What's the process for applying for the IBRO/USCRC fellowship? How long after submitting your application did you hear back about your acceptance?

OK, in that case I didn't have to apply because I was invited. However, I had to apply for the SCARE course 

Stephanie Vose
4 minutes ago, Dulce Arzate said:

OK, in that case I didn't have to apply because I was invited. However, I had to apply for the SCARE course 

After each 3-week LATP Fellows course, the course organizers select 2 Fellows who exhibited outstanding performance during the live course.

The Fellows then must select a course at MBL or CSHL (from an approved list) and apply for the course. Upon acceptance, the award is granted. 

• Like 3

Just now, Matias Mugnaini said:

Exactly what kind of effects attending a MBL course had in your professional life? I imagine that were a lot, but can you comment on some of the more relevant to you?

Well, first of all, I really enjoyed my stay, I learnt a lot. At that time we were working with neural stem cells culture and ESCs culture in the lab, so I got some fresh ideas. Moreover, I stablished some connections with the faculty, specially with Dr. Jennifer Morgan, how agreed to comment a review that we just publish

• Like 2

Well, first of all, I really enjoyed my stay, I learnt a lot. At that time we were working with neural stem cells culture and ESCs culture in the lab, so I got some fresh ideas. Moreover, I stablished some connections with the faculty, specially with Dr. Jennifer Morgan, how agreed to comment a review that we just publish

Dr. Morgan is one of the course directors

• Like 1

Manuel Suarez Carvajal

Talking about the likelihood of being accepted to one of the MBL's courses. In your opinion, which aspect of the application process is more important (research experience, statement of goals, biosketch, evaluations)?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stephanie Vose said:

The Fellows then must select a course at MBL or CSHL (from an approved list) and apply for the course. Upon acceptance, the award is granted. 

Exactly, in my case I had to apply for the housing MBL fellowship and SfN/IBRO/USCRC support my traveling expenses

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manuel Suarez Carvajal said:

Talking about the likelihood of being accepted to one of the MBL's courses. In your opinion, which aspect of the application process is more important (research experience, statement of goals, biosketch, evaluations)?

I think, it is about your motivation and goals. The group was very, very diverse, from postdocs to early-carreer graduate students

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dulce Arzate said:

I really like the community because the directors and the faculty give you advice about any topic: to find a postdoc, were to publish, etc. I'm still in contact with some classmates and faculty

• Like 2

Manuel Suarez Carvajal

I think, it is about your motivation and goals. The group was very, very diverse, from postdocs to early-carreer graduate students

In that case, would it be better to focus the statement of goals on specific short- to mid-term goals, rather than more general and long-term goals?   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Andrew Chen said:

@Dulce Arzate what sort of financial aid is available for attending a course at MBL?

The MBL supports students that requested it, once they get accepted and the amount of financial aid depends on their funding from grants and scholarships. They cover 70-100% of the total applications

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stephanie Vose said:

@Dulce Arzatehave you attended any other SfN annual meetings besides 2017? 

Yes, I attended on 2011 too. While I was a M.Sc. student with UNAM and SfN mexican chapter support

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Manuel Suarez Carvajal said:

In that case, would it be better to focus the statement of goals on specific short- to mid-term goals, rather than more general and long-term goals?   

Ohh, I think it's important to consider the big goal too. How do you see yourself in the future (long-term also)?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Andrew Chen said:

@Dulce Arzate what sort of financial aid is available for attending a course at MBL?

You can also check if your university supports research stays and international courses. In the case of UNAM, you can apply once a semester

• Like 1

Manuel Suarez Carvajal
6 minutes ago, Dulce Arzate said:

Ohh, I think it's important to consider the big goal too. How do you see yourself in the future (long-term also)?

I am right now in the application process to PhD programs, do you think that it is a good idea to apply this year or maybe it would be better to apply next year (hopefully as first year PhD student) having a more mature idea of my goals?

• Like 1

Matias Mugnaini

I suppose that there are some individual differences between courses, but: what about the daily work in MLB? Do you think there is a balance between lectures and hands-on experience?

2 minutes ago, Andrew Chen said:

How did it feel having to leave your lab for an extended period of time to go to the MBL course? Were you ever concerned about losing time for doing your own experiments?

I know that some MBL courses last one or two months, I selected the SCARE course because it was perfect: Great topic, during one week. So, no trouble with my advisor 😉

• Like 2

Sofia Gallino
I am thinking of applying ionic channels in Synaptic CSH in the course, what do you think is more important to stand out in your application?? 

I am right now in the application process to PhD programs, do you think that it is a good idea to apply this year or maybe it would be better to apply next year (hopefully as first year PhD student) having a more mature idea of my goals?

Well, I think it would be better if you wait. In that way, you're going to have a project and you can choose a course that will be more beneficial. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Marangelie Criado Marrero said:

Hi Dulce Arzate,  can you comment on the benefit, if any, of networking in these programs?

Hi, Marangelie. Of course, there are a lot of benefits, you will be part of a great scientific community, learn a lot, connect with experts, etc. I haven't try, but I'm sure you can find a job, for sure, specially if you're looking for an opportunity abroad

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matias Mugnaini said:

I suppose that there are some individual differences between courses, but: what about the daily work in MLB? Do you think there is a balance between lectures and hands-on experience?

Well, yes, during the course we had lectures in the morning and after lunch we moved to hands-on

• Like 1

Marangelie Criado Marrero
1 minute ago, Dulce Arzate said:

Hi, Marangelie. Of course, there are a lot of benefits, you will be part of a great scientific community, learn a lot, connect with experts, etc. I haven't try, but I'm sure you can find a job, for sure, specially if you're looking for an opportunity abroad

I have heard about those benefits but I am not sure when they really start happenig. It sounds great but most of what I have seen is that you get to know people but not necessarily this translate to advance in our careers.

8 minutes ago, Sofia Gallino said:

I am thinking of applying ionic channels in Synaptic CSH in the course, what do you think is more important to stand out in your application?? 

Since most of the courses are specialized, I believe that you need to let them know, 1)how are you going to benefit from that course?, you know, the impact on your current project; 2) if others can benefit, because you're going to bring that knowledge to your research group

• Like 3

Manuel Suarez Carvajal

Have you heard about the SPINES course?   If yes, do you think that attending to that course could increase the likelihood to be accepted to other course, for instance the Neural Systems & Behavior course?  

Just now, Marangelie Criado Marrero said:

I have heard about those benefits but I am not sure when they really start happenig. It sounds great but most of what I have seen is that you get to know people but not necessarily this translate to advance in our careers.

OK, I understand, and you're right. The benefits vary a lot, however, take into account that you're taking a course at the MBL (prestige!), you're traveling to another country to take a state-of-the-art course, taking dinner with a potential new advisor, etc. I definitely believe that it opens new possibilities, it's not direct, you have to work for it and keep in touch

• Like 2

Have you heard about the SPINES course?   If yes, do you think that attending to that course could increase the likelihood to be accepted to other course, for instance the Neural Systems & Behavior course?  

I don't know about that course, and I have no idea about your second question. Sorry! 😞

• Like 1

Stephanie Vose

Alright, our time is up for today's live chat. If @Dulce Arzate is available to stick around and continue the conversation, that is fine. You are all encouraged to stay in the chat and continued to talk

Just now, Stephanie Vose said:

Alright, our time is up for today's live chat. If @Dulce Arzate is available to stick around and continue the conversation, that is fine. You are all encouraged to stay in the chat and continued to talk

Thank you, Stephanie. I'm sorry, I have class. I really enjoyed the conversation, if you have any question, please e-mail me

• Like 3

• Stephanie Vose unpinned this topic
  • Stephanie Vose featured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
Maria A. González-González

@Dulce Arzate

Awesome discussion and very informative chat, congratulations for your trajectory and I want to add that MBL courses since happen during the summer,  recognized researchers meet there for reseach collaborations or for teaching in the courses, such is the case of the Whitman Fellows https://www.mbl.edu/research/whitman-fellowships/ . That make the experience unique in the sense that becomes a very enriched scientifc environment to interchange ideas with them and networking. Plus all the open summer-seminar series that very often end up in social events!   

The group may want to take a look to the Grass Fellowship:  https://www.grassfoundation.org/fellowship-overview   

All the best to everyone.

• Stephanie Vose unfeatured this topic