LATP 2019-2020

Ricardo Augusto Leoni de Sousa

Ricardo Augusto Leoni de Sousa

Hi, everybody! 

My name is Ricardo and I’m from Brazil. I am very excited about being a member of Latin American Training Program. I am a postdoctoral scholar at UFVJM, Brazil, at the moment. I am investigating the effects of  zika virus  when induced during gestation over changes on behavior and cognitive function of the offspring. In middle-age life I will give HFD for 2 weeks to the offspring. During my Ph.D thesis I worked with a similar model, but in a gestational diabetes model.  I work with mice and cell culture, but I also help students in our lab that are developing researches with rats and humans. It has been a very busy year to me.

I attended to SfN meeting this week, which was amazing and my legs hurt so much because I tried to see all posters and lectures that I was interested during all days in McCormick place, which is huge (if I am not wrong it is the biggest convention center in USA). That was my fisrt time attending to SfN meeting and it was amazing. I can't wait for D.C 2020. I got really emotional when I was coming back in the flight because I got to know and took a picture with Eric Kandel. I can not describe in words what was this feeling. In 2015 I met Ada Yonath, who gave the best lecture I have ever seen in my life. Well, SfN is something extraordinary and I hope to  have the opportunity of attending SfN meeting every year.

Does anyone know about the training weeks in Mexico for LATP 2019-2020? When will be and how many of us can be attending? 

• 4 weeks later...
Stephanie Vose

Hi Ricardo! We are happy to see you are using the new LATP Community page. It sounds like you are doing some very interesting investigative research in Brazil. We're glad you had an enriching experience at SfN this year in Chicago and we hope we have a chance to see you in 2020.  

The 2019-2020 LATP application closed on April 10, 2019. The live course took place August 26 – September 13, 2019 at the Instituto de Fisiología Celular, UNAM, Mexico.

As an alum of the program you will receive email communications before and during the 2020-2021 call for applications. Please keep an eye out for updates on the SfN.org/LATP page for information related to the 2020-2021 live course and application. You should also contact globalaffairs@sfn.org to confirm SfN staff has the most current email address on record for you.