Live Chat - 2016 Uruguay Course Experiences

Cashen Almstead

Manuel Solino

Hi everyone, I’m Manuel, I’m a PhD student from Buenos Aires.
I feel that this platform is a great oportunity for researchers from our background to boost our work by contacting us with so many good researchers. I also feel that the lectures can an inspiration to keep the hard work that is to research in latam

The Latin American Training Advisory Group reviews the evaluations from the course. We also share the recommendations with the organizers of the course and with future organizers.

Hi, Daylin! I completely agree with you, in our countries is very difficult to get funds. It is always helpful to learn tips and know another grant sources

Giovanne Diniz

Hello Cynthia!

That’s great to know! It would be great if SfN could include the students at some point of that process after the evaluation, maybe even with a topic here in Neuronline talking about those recommendations!!! I’m sure I could learn a lot from those and apply them to scientific events I organize here at my home institution!

Manuel Solino

I work on retinal degeneration with focus on adenosine and the encocannabinoid systems as potential therapeutic targets. My PhD ends next year I’m still considering where to go next.

guadalupegomar3

Yes, I thinks this kind of subjects are very useful for us. Specially because it is hard to know how they function outside of our countries. I would like to go deeper in this kind of topics.

What I believe the sould be improved in future LATP programs is to broaden the Microscopy field an Imagging in neuroscience. As I work with neurochemistry, almost purelly, I would like to learn always new techniqus

Manuel Solino

Thanks! I’m beginning to but I’m still not certain. On march I’ll be going to Spain for a short stay, it may be an eye opener.

guadalupegomar3

That are wonderful suggestions! I totally agree about these points. I work with imaging in neuroscience and I would like to hear more about that field on the LATP, gladly at the SFN there were a lot of people in that field and it helped a lot for open my research field.

Some years ago the LATP was focused on microscopy and imaging, from optics to confocal and super-resolution. I hope that they can organize a course with some topics about this again

Giovanne Diniz

That would be fantastic! As a heavy user of imaging methods, I’d be happy to participate in courses or webinars on that topic!

I think it would be great to include in a future School also some AI/Machine Learning/Neural Networks… This is one of the fastest growing topics in science and I’m sure there’s a lot of untapped potential for these tools in neuroscience! To really push that field in LatAm could help us close the gap!

guadalupegomar3

Yes, I was aware of this. But as I was suggesting before, I think the program can have an improvement if each year they have the same amounts of talks in different research levels: basic and clinical or translational. So people of any filed can learn about other fields equally. And there can be a little more understanding of different research levels! Also it might be future collaborations! because traditionally this kind of research are seeing like two very different fields and LATP can be a great opportunity of truing to make a bridge between them

Manuel Solino

I’d like that too.I love Microscopy and there’s never enough.
I’d also enjoy if there was a focus on degenerative diseases of the cns.

This is true Guadalupe, now we know about other groups in Latin-America, to do collaborations in the future in case we have similar interests. :slight_smile:

janmunozortiz

hello everybody I think the LATP should include topics about free software to analyze our results, many times like students we dont have money and access to specialized softwares

Well, yes, regarding the link between clinical and basic research. Definitely, we should try to get them close. Having an idea about what are they about for people from both sides would help to accomplish this. Thanks for your suggestion, Guadalupe. I hope that organizers that it incount

Hello, Janeth!
I’m sure that organizers will try to incorporate this to the course. There are a lot of interesting topics and helpful tools to neuroscientists that sometimes it’s hard to cover everything in one course. Thank you

guadalupegomar3

That’s an awesome suggestion. Since for example as Dulce was saying there was a very useful imaging course at Mexico some years ago, since they have a lot of expertise in this field. There might be useful to have a LATP organized by many different places over all latin-america, if an institution is more specialized in molecular research they can dress this topic and others can be in charge of the field of their own expertise. This would give people more accurate and very recent updates of each field, and it will encompass all Latin america. Some talks can be done by videoconference

Maria A. González-González

Giovanne, In my group, we work with neural interfaces, electrodes to modulate neuronal activity, and we are planning to bring to México a course in this topic. Hopefully if it has good impact and lets see what happen… may be take it part of the courses.

For me, the course and the poster presentation at the annual meeting SfN 2017 have been wonderful experiences. Definitely, my perspective has change and I hope to keep in touch with my classmates and teachers! There is always an opportunity to collaborate!

Giovanne Diniz

Sure!

I think this was a very productive discussion and maybe we could make this a second time for people who couldn’t be here to join!

Feel free to contact me here on Neuronline if you have any doubts or whatever, I’m always open to conversation, and I’m sure the other Fellows feel the same!

The LATP is a great opportunity, regardless if you are a Fellow or an Associate! So please spread the word and encourage others to join SfN and apply for this program. Science in Latin America will only improve with our increasing participation and cooperation!

I hope everyone had a good time!