Live Chat #4: Imaging the Brain: Visualizing structure and function in the CNS Discussion, March 7, 1 p.m. EST

ccheatham

carolvasquez11

In my case I had previous knowledge of immunohistochemistry which was part of second week of the course. But in the case of fMRI, I had very basic knowledge of fMRI analysis and in the course was my first time using matLab. However during the practical part of the course we had full assistance from the professors during each step and we performed the activities in small groups so students like Raul that had previous experience also collaborated to help those like me that were beginning to be in touch with this type of analysis.

One discussion that really got me during the course was about the many ways you can measures some kind of brain activity.
Because of the broad range of techniques covered in the course, we had the opportunity to think a lot on the differences of the data acquired (and their nature) in each technique and how comparable they are. For example, how much the data in diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) couples with tract-tracing data, which clearly has a bigger level of definition, or how the immunostaining of proteins in immunocytochemistry correlates with fMRI BOLD signal. I knew about works recording fMRI and electrical signal concomitantly, but not with molecular/biochemical markers of activity, which is very likely to influence blood oxygenation flow. This was a question of mine actually that, although it remained unanswered, it was nice that it was triggered by the diverse contact with techniques.

I agree with Raul. You will found some easier classes, specifically when it is related to the topics of interest or the ones you work at. However, other lectures become more demanding, and at somep points are harder to follow. This happende to me as I do not do animal research. But as Raul said, professors are reallyopen to questions, and they make you feel there are no dumb questions.

Raul Rodriguez Cruces

Hey thayssbr,

The course made me think about different approaches for my research, and it has encouraged me to to get more into data analysis with mathematical models and computer science methods. It has been hard because of my background, I’m a physician. About the difficulties about implementing a new technique, I believe there are many, not only because of the training or cost, sometimes it goes beyond our hands, to the economical situation of our research centers, and the applicability of these techniques. Somethimes the newest is not the best for our research, I think we must consider the benefit of this.

danielanovo77

In my case I had some experience with FMRI and EEG ( data collection, processing and analysis) previous to the course but the other topics were a quite new to me and also some of the practice on lab. So it was really exciting

Hello! We shared the feedback from the 2015 course with the organizers of the course in Uruguay. We can also share this discussion too. If you are interested in applying to the course this year, go to sfn.org/latp. It has a preliminary program of the lectures and lab exercises.

Marianne Klein

Thank you Carol, Cesar, Raul, Daniela and Andrés! It is really good to hear your different points of view and to know that professors were opened to questions and very collaborative, that is one of the things we need in science! :slight_smile:

danielanovo77

I think this is the best of the LATP, that allows an approaching to new techniques even some that are really expensive

Maria Bringas

Congratulations to all LATP 2015. I’m pretty sure this kind of programs can help to create a real latin american network of young scientists in which we can help us each others.

Raul Rodriguez Cruces

I also must admit that this course open me a hole new network in Latin America. Andres just reminded me that he told me about a very interesting course that was held in Sao Paulo brasil last january LASCON, the Latin American School of Computational Neuroscience. I was a participant there too. But without LATP I wouldn’t know about that!!
In summary we met a lot of great people, we had high quality courses and practices, we had great experiences and our neuroscientist network grew!

One of the best things in LATP was the bond we created among ourselves. We became friends and I think this is already a way of - natural - networking. All the informal moments of sharing, like the weekends and the carretes and moments outside the class also helped to build a bond ultimately useful for science!

Well,

Time is up. Thank you guys for showing up to this chat.
I hope our experience was minimally useful to you.

Hope to see you guys in San Diego in SFN conference.

It seems that learning new techniques require a more multidisciplinary approach, implicating in getting basic knowledge of fields other than our initial expertise, in order to embrace more aspects of our subject and results… This is intimidating but exciting. In this sense, collaborations and self-taught, and equally hands on courses and networking formation like LATP, are important.

I definetely recommend enroling for these kind of experiences with high quality professors and other students interested in similar fields.

Thank you for the questions, it is also enriching to reflect upon and remember how the experience helped us!

And moreover, we were 15 at the school. Now we are 16, and we are all uncles of a newborn who also attended the lectures. Welcome Sofía!!!

Definitely. I highly encourage you to apply for the 2016 edition. The intimidating aspect is only until you get used to it. Then it is just one more thing.

danielanovo77

It’s fun because I also knew about the PHD student position in my current lab on Argentina thanks to the LATP course. I was the younger of the group, so the experiences that my partners shared with me also help me to facing this new experience. So… thanks “chicos”:slight_smile: