Save the Date for Webinar #6

Meridian Watters

Meridian Watters

Dear Associates,

The next webinar will take place on Thursday, February 26 at 2pm EDT for Washington, DC.  Drs. Diane Lipscombe and John Maunsell will bring their knowledge on "How to Publish a Manuscript."

Register for the webinar here and feel free to email me at mwatters@sfn.org with any questions.

If you have any preliminary questions that you’d like the hosts to go over during the webinar, please reply to this message.

Best regards,
Meridian

Great topic!
Specially for us on this long and arduous journey. Hints about that would be awesome and maybe could make our lives easier. Cant’ wait for this next webinar. 

I’m also sharing with you guys this nice article about “how to write your first paper”. It’s really helpful. For some of us, for sure, it is not the first one, but could be for few of us. It doesn’t matter, it is a great piece of knowledge that we should all check it out!

My best,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone:

Writing a research article can be very intimidating. This article suggests a good strategy to start.

Thanks for sharing with us Bicca

For me the hardest part is the discussion. Is it permissible to speculate in the discussion?. How to know when it has been speculated too much? What do you think?

See you thursday!!!

Best,

Dear Maina Bicca, thank you very much for sharing such an interesting article, it is true that writing is a freezing experience at the beginning, staring at a white page wondering how articles come to be in the way we read them every day.

The article suggests very interesting questions and proposes nice strategies to approach the daunting task of writing. For me the number one issue is how to keep a writing schedule, because as any other skill that we have to develop as scientist, writing requires time, motivation and concentration. How to find the time to write in a day packed with experiments? Is a question posed by the author that I have thought several times. I will try to find a proper time to practice.

Also I enjoyed that each section closed with a "rule" or "take-home message". Despite that writing is a reflection of our own unique personality and that everyone has their own approach, my view is that scientific writing has -fortunately- a frame and structure to improve the understanding and making of a scientific article. Recently I gave a small lecture to undergraduate students about the structure of a scientific article so that they could present their final work in that format. I remember I told them that "we are not reinventing the wheel" in the sense that once you become familiarized with the structure and a few good rules of thumb and approaches, it is easier and fun to read and write.

Finally I noticed that the article focused about writing strategies and not so much about submission and publishing, so it will be interesting if the webinar provide us with tips to know how to deal with that part too and a view of the future of scientific publishing like the new SfN journal eNeuro will be important.

Thank you again for the article, I bet it will be useful for all of us.

Regarding Martha's question about how to know when we are speculating too much, that is definitively something to solve at the webinar. I believe that if you try to stick to what has been reported and to your workframe that is ok.