Local Scientific Context

Nicolas Araneda Hinrichs

Nicolas Araneda Hinrichs

¡Hola, everyone!

I’m glad webinar #3 is starting in a few moments, aren’t you?

I wanted to ask al associates to describe their local contexts in which they engage in scientific outreach and advocacy. By local I mean both the broader situation of each country and the specific niche from where you’re working. 

This way we could all benefit from getting traces of the bigger picture on how things go on in the rest of Latinamerica. I’d urge you to include both descriptions, as we all come from different settings both in the macro- and microsocial, in order for us to get a notion of the bias with which you’re perceive your position (i.e. i come from biological anthropology, which has hardly ever had anything to do in Chile with neuroscience, so we are a rather small group that departs from traditional, forensic or genomic works, while MD’s and biochemists have had the privilege of working in that field for as long as it has existed here).

¡Greetings from Concepción!

Rodrigo Conde

Hi Nicolas,

Here in my city (Ribeirão Preto, Brazil) we are engaged in scientific outreach and advocacy too. Once a month we have the opportunity to bring information about new treatments for people with multiple sclerosis. It’s a great opportunity to not only inform patients about more sophisticated methods of assessment and treatment of the disease, but also to assist their family and closest friends in the care of these individuals. In all meetings there is always the presence of doctors, physiotherapists, psychologists and occupational therapists. Approximately 100 patients with multiple sclerosis regularly participate in our meetings.

Greetings from Brazil!