Mark Your Calendars for Webinar #3!

Meridian Watters

Meridian Watters

Greetings, Associates!

Our next webinar, "How to be a Citizen Scientist: Outreach & Advocacy" hosted by Dr. Gladys Maestre is coming up on Tuesday, October 28 at 12:30pm EDT (Washington, DC time). Please plan to attend according to your time zone and let me know if you need any clarifications.

Bogota, Colombia (COT): 11:30am Queretaro, Mexico (CDT): 11:30am

Caracas, Venezuela (VET): 12:00pm Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (BRT): 1:30pm

Have any of you participated in outreach or advocacy events in your home countries? Reply to this post with your experiences or any questions you have about being a citizen scientist.

I want to thank everyone for such a lively discussion during Webinar #2 hosted by Dr. Quirarte.  There are still some questions in this thread for anyone who would like to continue the dialogue. If you missed the webinar, we should have it available and posted in the community library shortly.

Looking forward to the 28th,

Meridian

Hi Meridian, thanks for the info. The next webinar will cover a very important subject, because sometimes due to the work load scientist and students are a little isolated although what we do concerns the whole society.

I have had a few opportunities to participate in events that bring closer science and society. Each year at theCINVESTAV there is an event called Cinvesniños (Cinveskids), that shows to kids and society some of the work we do. As I collaborate with the National Brain Bank that is in the Cinvestav, I have the chance to talk about the brain and have fun with the expression kids do when they see and touch a human brain.

Also the 21st of september I participated in the World Alzheimer’s Day event carried at the Zocalo in the DistritoFederal. I gave short talks about AD but for me the most important thing was to listen the questions that family members of AD patients had and what they wanted to say

Currently, I teach at a university and i showed to the students how to care and improve the brain. I also offer seminars in industrial camp, and as a scientist, I teach them the required knowledge to maintain their brain functions active and optimum performance. In college in the month of October we celebrated the week of mental health, and an important part we will highlight the brain functions.

Hello everyone! I am really excited about the upcoming seminar, scientific outreach is something I am very interested in, and I definitely want to learn more about advocacy. 
I have been in the organizing committee of the uruguayan node of the Brain Awareness Week for 5 years now, and it has been a great experience. I think our strongest point is that we perform most of the activities in the open air, in public squares. It allows a close interaction with the people and an interchange that it is different than when the people have to enter to an institution. I don’t want to bore you telling all the things we did, but I leave you here a couple of videos in case you want to check them out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQao8tDv9DQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoUZ_tpb64I

And here is our facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Semanadelconocimientodelcerebro?ref=hl

If any of you are interested, it would be great to share experiences and ideas to improve our activities.

All the best,

josé