Welcome to the Latin American Training Program

gregoryjquirk

gregoryjquirk

Dear LATP Associates,

Saludos and welcome to the Latin American Training Program! As Chair of the group that manages this program (the Latin American Training Advisory Group for SfN) I'm glad to have so many interested trainees engage the neuroscience community in Latin America. As Associates, you are going to experience a wealth of opportunities over the course of the next few months as we explore relevant scientific and professional development topics.

Our first webinar is July 30 at 2pm (Washington, DC -EST). If you haven't already, you should be receiving an invite to participate in the webinar soon. Please make sure to join us as we discuss the program and what you can expect in the coming months.

What are your goals for participating in the Latin American Training Program, and what are your specific needs that the Program could address?  If you want, you can respond to this message prior to the July 30 webinar.

I look forward to starting this journey with you all on July 30! ​

Best wishes,

Greg Quirk, PhD

Hi everyone,

First, it is a pleasure to meet you, Gregory Quirk.

I´m very excited about this course. My goals for participating in the LATP are to increase my knowledge in the neuroscience areas, expand my work network and learn how to improve my skills as a researcher.
In relation to my particular needs, I would like to discuss the application of statistics in the evaluation of problems in neurobiology

See you soon,  best wishes,

Martha Canto

Dear Gregory Quirk,

Hello! and thank you and all for this great program, were we can learn from many of our peers and strength the neuroscience field in Latin America.

I hope that after this training program I will know more about the modern tools that are applied in neuroscience today to approach issues related to memory, plasticity and the interaction of different brain regions.

Also I expect to learn skills that will enhance my ability to collaborate with my colleagues around the world. As someone who expects to finish a PhD next year, I guess that my specific needs are to learn how to take the leap from performing experiments and reports to be a useful member of the scientific community.

See you soon! 

Dear Gregory Quirk,

Hello! and thank you and all for this great program, were we can learn from many of our peers and strength the neuroscience field in Latin America.

I hope that after this training program I will know more about the modern tools that are applied in neuroscience today to approach issues related to memory, plasticity and the interaction of different brain regions.

Also I expect to learn skills that will enhance my ability to collaborate with my colleagues around the world. As someone who expects to finish a PhD next year, I guess that my specific needs are to learn how to take the leap from performing experiments and reports to be a useful member of the scientific community.

See you soon! 

Dear Dr. Quirk and colleagues,

I am very grateful to be able to participate, but more so that such prestigious institutions (SfN, IBRO, Grass Foundation) believe Latin America to be a hub for the neurosciences. Latin America is a very unique part of the world with great cultural diversity. Diversity is seen between countries but also within a single country. This sometimes make it difficult to develop solid collaborations. I am interested to learn how we can traverse these cultural divides to forge local and regional initiatives. This applies to neuroscience outreach and education programs as well. How do we make people from completely different backgrounds enjoy and pursue a career in neuroscience?  

My exposure to this program is the first of its kind. It is rare to have the opportunity to exchange ideas among so many talented individuals spread across large distances so I am excited to hone my abilities in establishing productive scientific dialogue on an online platform. If possible, I would also like to become familiar with tools such as gotomeeting.com and NeuroOnLine and how I can implement these in the future to strengthen my participation in the Latin American neuroscience community beyond this program.

Other subjects that I would greatly appreciate are english science writing, grant proposal drafting, and how to apply for PhD/postdoc positions in the US.

Most importantly, I’d like to understand what steps I can take to become a proactive part in the effort to advance neuroscience in Latin America.

Thank you again for this unique opportunity, looking forward to tomorrow’s webinar and meeting all of you!

Kind regards,

Humberto

Dear Gregory Quirk

I am really grateful of been part of this course, and it was exciting the first webinar. My goals of participating in this course are to improve my neuroscience knowledge, increase my technical skills, have more information for a posdoctoral interview and collaborate with other researchers.

I think this course will be very important for my professional development.

Thanks

See you soon.

Diana

Dear Gregory

My goals are to meet latin american colleagues in the same stage of their careers and build a neuroscience community through the region and to improve my skills for writing papers and grants.

Best regards