Welcome!

Meridian Watters

Meridian Watters

Hello and welcome to the Latin American Training Program Associates online community! We're glad that you've joined the program and will be able to use this forum to communicate with fellow participants in the program.

Please allow me to introduce myself, my name is Meridian Watters and I am the program assistant for the Latin American Training Program. Along with Christopher LaPrade, program manager,  I will be working closely with all of you over the next year to make this program a success!

At this point, you should have received emails from me with your participant ID number (please keep this number with you throughout the course), a registration link as well as a pre-course assessment. Please try to have both the registration and pre-course assessment completed by Friday, July 25 in time for the Introductory Webinar on July 30. There is a welcome packet with valuable information in the community library. Please email me at mwatters@sfn.org if you have not received any of those items.

Since you all will be engaging in lively discussions throughout the program through this community, let's get the conversation started!  Please reply to this post with your home country, institution, field of study and a little information about your hopes for the program.

I'm looking forward to working with you throughout this program. Please feel free to contact me at mwatters@sfn.org or Christopher at claprade@sfn.org if you have any questions.

Warm regards, Meridian

Thanks, Meridian!

Hi, everyone. My name is Christopher LaPrade and I am the program manager for the Latin American Training Program (LATP). I know that Meridian and I are both excited to work with you in the coming year.

Our first webinar will be on July 30-so be prepared! The webinar will serve as an introduction to the course and will outline what you can expect from the LATP! After that, the first scientific webinar will take place in September. We’ll be posting the pre-course reading material soon.

I have been working with the Society for Neuroscience for nearly four years now and have a lot of experience working in the region, formerly with the Ricardo Miledi program. I’m excited to work on this project moving forward.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. Best wishes!
Christopher

Hello everyone,

My name is Humberto Mestre and I recently graduated from medical school and have started a masters program in medical sciences. My hope is to some day complete a PhD in neuroscience and specialize in interventional neurology.

I currently work at the neuroimmunology department at Universidad Anahuac in Mexico City. We are working towards developing therapies for spinal cord injury. My interests are neurotrauma, cell reprogramming, and translational research. 

The topics for the training program are incredibly interesting. Most of the webinars are areas of knowledge that are neglected in graduate programs so I am excited to be a part of this unique online course.

I was also lucky enough to be selected as a fellow for LATP so I look forward to actively collaborating with all of you and helping out with whatever I can. 

Kind regards,

Humberto

marina_magnini

Thank you, Meridian and Christopher.

Hello everyone!

My name is Marina, I’m bachelor in Pharmacy and this year started my masters at Graduate Program in Pharmacology from Federal University of Santa Catarina, Brazil.

I’ll study mechanisms and brain areas  involved in the formation and modulation of aversive memories, as well as its manipulation through the use of pharmacological tools.

The opportunity offered by the Society for Neuroscience is quite interesting and I’m honored to participate. I think will add great knowledge to my academic and scientific training.

Also, the chance to meet other graduate students and researchers is of extreme importance to establish partnerships between research groups.

For now, pleasure to meet you!

Marina

deborahazzi

Hello everyone!

My name is Deborah Azzi-Nogueira and I am a PhD student at the University of São Paulo, Brazil. I am currently working on mechanisms involved in neurodegeneration in mice, but my interests cover also brain development, neural cell biology and neurogenetics. Also, I am really interested in science politics and career development. I see this course as a great path to understand more about all these subjects and make good contacts. After all, science is a social enterprise. 

Looking forward to know you better and to learn a lot.

Best!

Deborah

Hello everyone! My name is Erick, a PhD student from Mexico City and I am glad and thrilled to have the opportunity to participate in this program. I like neuroscience a lot, I consider the brain-mind the last frontier.

I am about to finish a PhD in Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology at the Centro de Investigación y de Estudios Avanzados del IPN; most of all I am interested in memory processing and the loss of memory that occurs in Alzheimer's Disease. Today neuroscience has amazing tools to unravel many details about how the brain does all its fantastic functions, so I am happy to have the chance to discuss how this tools works and how are applied with my peers and world class neuroscientist in this enriching program.

Thank you very much, I am looking forward to work with all of you.  

Hello everyone,

My name is Franklin, but you can call me Frank! Currently, I´m a PhD student at the Federal University of Santa Catarina, where we are trying to understand more about fear acquisition and encoding of emotional (aversive) memories. Through the stimulation of certain brain areas, and the use of pharmacological tools, we aim to manipulate the endocannabinoid system relating to the previously mentioned memory processes. I also have a personal interest in social relationships, especially empathy.

I believe the Training Program will help us all to increase our knowledge and scientific abilities. I am very glad to be among people with different backgrounds yet common interests. I´m looking forward to contributing to a productive environment!

See you all soon!

Hello Everyone!
I am glad to be part of this associates program from the LATP!
My name is Rodrigo Alonso, I have a masters degree in Biology and now I am making a PhD at the Physics Department from the University of Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Nowadays, I am working in neuroscience of birdsong, particularly in neural and biophysical mechanisms involved in motor control of song production in Canaries. I am interested in perception and production of sounds and speech among other areas.
I am eager to start this course and getting to know other colleagues soon.
Thanks to the organizers, It is an honour to be part of this program.
Cheers,

Hello, 

My name is Erika Mayorga. I am a new biologist and I’m working as Investigator in a research project at the Universidad del Tolima, Colombia. 

I recently work with experimental models in neurodegenerative diseases, specifically Parkinson. But previous studies included neurodevelopment, memory and learning.

I’m excited about the LATP, its a great opportunity for learn and become stronger in the topics that I already know. 

I feel so privilege when I was accepted for the LATP, and i’m very confident that this program will fill the expectations and more. 

Nice to meet you all!

Nicolas Araneda Hinrichs

¡Hola!

My name is Nicolás Araneda Hinrichs and I’m a chilean biological anthropologist currently undergoing my PhD studies at the Universidad de Concepción.

My main focus has been human perception and cognition in music and language, but I’m also interested in getting involved in other neuro-topics, as well as science outreach and politics.

I really look forward to the program and to eventually getting to know you guys at a real-life event!

Cheers!

Rodrigo Conde

Hi everyone,

My name is Rodrigo Conde i’m a Phd student at the University of São Paulo (USP), Brazil. My field of study is the autonomic and sensory deficits in patients with sensory neuronopathy. Here, at our department, we’re using sweat tests and quantitative sensory test to understand the relationship between the autonomic and sensory systems.
I’m very excited to be part of this training program and i hope to learn as much as i can with all of you.
I think this training program will bring us the knowledge we need to be great scientist.

Best regards!

ANA CRESTANI

Hello, my name is Ana and I am starting my PhD at Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil. I am currently working with memory in rats, but I am also interested in engaged in politics and philosophy of science. I think that this opportunity will boost our careers. I am really excited to participate and learn a plenty of new issues.Thanks to the organizers for the opportunity to join in this program.

Best regards,

Andrea Rodriguez

Hello! My name is Andrea Rodriguez. I am postgraduate neurology resident at the Central University of Venezuela located in Caracas Hospital Vargas.

At the present time I am researching cognitive impairment in epilepsy and its causes and better ways to diagnose. My graduate degree is of clinical neurology, but later want to make a master’s degree in clinical neuroscience.

I am excited to participate in this course to train in this exciting world of neuroscience, share clinical knowledge and learn more about research. I think it will be very productive for all. I feel very grateful to have been selected to participate in this course and be a part of this community.

Hoping to meet soon!

nuriacampora

Hello
My name is Nuria. I am a clinical neurologist specialized in epilepsy at Ramos Mejia Hospital currently undergoing my PhD studies at Buenos Aires University
At this time I am researching the alteration of consciousness in epilepsy and the neural network involved.
I am really excited to participate in this training program and learn a plenty of new issues. Also I expect learn from peers.
I think this program will bring us knowledge we need to complete better ours works.
I ´m looking forward to working with you thoughout the program
Warm regard,
Nuria

Carlos Victor Pereira

Hello,
Im Carlos, pharmacist from the Amazonas state and currently master student on forensic sciences with a focus on neurotoxicity of synthetic cannabinoids.

mariaportela92

Good morning, everyone!

Well, as you may see, my name is María Portela Fernández, contrary to most of you I don’t have much to tell or show but entusiasm for the beggining of this course. Currently I am studying Medicine at Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana in Medellín, Colombia. For now I haven’t published any papers nor have I been involved in basic sciences investigation, but I belong to an investigation group in low vision and blindness, my focus being the neurological causes of this deficit, although this group is more a clinical one, and with some partners at college we’re also doing an epidemiological work about migraine in our University. 

That’s it. As I wrote before, I don’t have much to say, but I am pretty much excited for this training program, mainly because when it comes down to neuro-anything (goes from science to surgery, actually) I tend to be as excited as a child. 

With my best regards,
María.

mariaportela92

Good evening!

Well, I tried to send a message earlier, but it seems like I did something wrong because I can’t see it posted in here. Anyway, thank you Meridian and Christopher for your words of encouragement.

I’m María Portela Fernández from Colombia, right now I am studying medicine at Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana in Medellín, and probably I don’t have as much experience as many of you seem to have, particularly with basic science investigation, but I guess we share the interest towards neurological stuff (in my particular case, I’m drawn to neurosurgery but since highschool I’ve had a certain interest in neuroscience, as well). I don’t have any publications nor have I been into basic science research, my experience in that field being part of a branch of the public health investigation group in my faculty that does work on low vision and blindness, with my focus being on the neurological causes of the issue; also, with some peers at the faculty we’re doing an epidemiological study about migraine in our College.

Well, I guess that’s all I can tell about myself. Let’s see what this year brings on to us, and I’m pleased to meet you all.

With my best wishes,
María.

Hello!

My name is Maria Adelia Aratanha, I am currently a MSc student of Neuroengineering in Natal, Brazil.
I have done my BS in Biomedical engineering but just now I am getting into the neuroscience area. My research area is Brain Machine Interface.
I am looking forward to participate in the program, I am sure it will be a great learning experience.

thanks,
Maria Adelia

mauricio_watanabe

Hello,
my name is Mauricio Watanabe Ribeiro and I’m currently at ELS-IINN, in Natal, as a MSc candidate in the neuroengineering program. As main area I’m studying Brain Machine Interface and currently focusing auditory system in common marmosets. As my former study area was environmental engineering, having undergraduated at University of Sao Paulo, I have a stronger knowledge in programming and with equipments than neuroscience itself, so I think this will be a very good opportunity for learning a lot and exchange experiences with my fellows.
Best regards,

eugenia_hesse

Hi,

mi name is Eugenia Hesse. I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I am a biomedical engineer currently starting a Phd in neuroscience at INECO (Institute of Neurology and Cognition). I am specifically working with intracranial recordings (iEEG). 
I am eager to learn new skills that will help me become a better researcher and meeting new people with different backgrounds becasuse I think discussions will be very interesting because of this.

Best regards,

Hello everyone,

My name is Martha, I´m a PhD student at the Department of Phisiology, Biophisics and Neuroscience of CINVESTAV in Mexico city. Currently, my research work is focused on calcium channels and its contribution on  motoneurons excitability on in spinal cord . In addition, I have been working with GABAA receptors located in primary aferents fibers. During my PhD training, I´ve employed electrophysiological, biochemical and molecular techniques  to understand more about the spinal cord circuits. In the future I would like to focus my research on pain perception.

I believe the Training Program is a great oportunity to increase our knowledge and scientific abilities. I am very interested in meet people with different backgrounds and common interests.

Best wishes,

Martha Canto

Hello everyone,

My name is Cristiano Köhler. I am a post-doctoral fellow at Brain Institute, Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte in Natal, Brazil. My field of study is neurobiology of learning and memory, and my current project investigates the role of the mesocorticolimbic dopaminergic pathway on the consolidation and reconsolidation of object recognition memory in rats.

I expect that the program will be a great opportunity to learn and get involved with subjects that are not usual in regular post-graduation courses, like career development and advocacy in Neuroscience. Also, I hope to exchange knowledge and contribute with my expertise in my field of research.

I am pleased to meet you all, and looking forward to work with you throughout this year.

Kind regards,

silvipuertas

Hi to everyone,

first of all, i’m so glad to share with you this learning and meeting experience. 

My name is Silvia Puertas, i am from Bogotá, Colombia, i am a linguist and i am studying Master in Neuroscience, at Universidad Nacional de Colombia.   I am interested in learning so much more about the neural generators of differents brain waves, like for example, P300, because I am working right now on my master thesis called “DIFFERENCES IN PROCESSING SPEED, IN CHILDREN WITH DYSLEXIA VS CONTROLS, MEASURED WITH LONG LATENCY EVOKED POTENTIALS (P300)” I am also very interested in learning disabilities like dysgraphia, dyscalculia, and of course, dyslexia, and its manifestations and symptoms in spanish language, which is the main topic for me since two years ago.

I expect that LATP would improve my knowledge about neurophysiology and neurobiology of behavior and I think that the course will afford me the possibility to meet other graduate students with similar interests to mine, and other teachers, professionals, and so on, involved in neuroscience research in Latin America, so we can make a great academic network of contacts on different countries dedicated to help each other, solving questions, and providing opportunities of academic training.

It is very nice to meet you all

Hello everybody! =)
 I´m Elisa Ventura, I´m physician and sexologist. Currently I´m a PhD student interested on neurobiology of sexual behavior. 
I´m so glad for LATP and my expectations are to improve and to learn skills that make me grow in professional and personal fields. Of course I hope make friends and have fun!
Welcome to Mexico =D
See you!

Hi everybody!!

My name is Diana. I am on my last year of PhD. I am from Mexico city and I work at the Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas, UNAM. My research focuses on the distribution of neurotransmitters at the level of their synaptic boutons. We think that a neuron can send their neurotransmitters to one or another bouton in response of some signals that come from the post-synapse, and we called Segregation of neurotransmitters.

Also, I am interested on neurodegenerative disorders, gliotransmission and astrocyte function. I am really excited of been part of this course and I hope that after this I can improve my neuroscience knowledge. And finally, I think that this course will be perfect for collaborate with people from Latin America. 

Lets start!!!

Best wishes

Diana

le_burbano32

Hi everyone, 

My name is Lisseth. I’m a physician and I’m currently working with a research group in multiple sclerosis in Bogotá, Colombia. 
I’m glad to be part of the LATP and I expect to get to know you all and learn a lot in the upcoming year.

Regards,

Lisseth

Hi all, mi name is Alexander Carvajal González, I am a physician from the Universidad Nacional de Colombia, I did a master´s in Neuroscience at Washington State University and currently I´m finishing a phd degree in Clinical Neurology at the University of Oxford. My areas of interest are neurophysiology, neuroimmunology and clinical neurology. 
I´m very excited to be part of this exciting initiative to strength the neuroscience community in Latin America and the Caribbean and hope to enjoy the course.

Best wishes

• 1 month later...

Hello

First of all, I would like to apologize for taking so long to introduce myself.

My name is Marina Dauar, and I am a clinical neurologist from Sao Paulo, Brazil. I have done all my training which included Medical School, Residency, and a Fellowship in Alzheimer's Disease and other cognitive and behavioral disorders at Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo. I also did a fellowship at McGill University where I studied Alzheimer's Disease and advanced neuroimaging techniques applied to the study and diagnosis of dementia.

My main interests are Alzheimer's Disease and other degenerative dementias, their clinical diagnosis, and physiopathology.

I am excited to be part of this program offered by the Society for Neuroscience, which will be important for my training as a scientist. It will be a fantastic opportunity to meet so many talented researchers from all over Latin America. I am sure that we will learn a lot together and that we can contribute to the advance of neuroscience in the region.  

See you on our next webinar!

Greetings Marina, never is to late to introduce yourself. I am Erick, a PhD student in Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology at the Cinvestav in Mexico, where I study Alzheimer´s Disease. I am interested in how amyloid beta and tau disrupt the synaptic function.

I have read a few papers about tracking the formation of the aggregates and its correlation with a cognitive decline, have you worked with transgenic rodents or only humans?

I bet you will enjoy the webinars and the interaction with the group, see you. 

Hi Erik,

Your work seems very interesting. I have worked only with humans and neuroimaging so far. I hope that in the future I can get involved in basic science too. 
I am looking forward to the webinars and to learning a lot with all of you.
See you