Pfizer ends Research on Alzheimer's and Parkinson's

Michael Oberdorfer

Michael Oberdorfer

Pfizer is ending its effort to find new drugs to treat Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease according to NPR, Reuters and other sources. This decision will result in the elimination of 300 positions in their neuroscience division, but it is also disappointing news to many groups advocating for research on these diseases.
More than five million Americans suffer from Alzheimer’s. Parkinson’s disease is diagnosed in more than 50,000 Americans each year.
Research on these diseases is conducted by a number of large and small private pharmaceutical companies, including start-ups, but they all ultimately depend on results from publicly-funded research at NIH and elsewhere which will continue in the face of uncertain budgets

What would the state of biomedical research be if NIH and government-funded agencies chose not to pursue disease research if the results weren’t always promising and/or profitable?

NIH and other publicly-funded research are essential for keeping USA science in leading position. In my opinion, we need to revisit our collaborative work to understand the basic biology and chemistry of neurodegenerative disease. We should come to World consensus how , for example Alzheimer’s occurs. Then, treatment and drug development would be more effective. So, NIH and other government-funded agencies must continue to provide support. One way, I am thinking, that would be feasible is that instead of funding mega laboratories, NIH forms a laboratory network and fund the network. Say, I am working on biomarker development for Alzheimer’s disease. Who else are working on this issue" Say, 13 laboratories. have them form a specific collaboration and provide the necessary funding for this consortium. No individual gets the credit but the consortium. This network can also be expanded to international level. as well.

Michael Oberdorfer

Collaboration is key in any research effort, particularly for neurodegenerative diseases. These conditions must draw from clinical and basic research. I think collaboration among these and other researchers would accelerate progress. Various institutes at NIH have, and continue, to support collaborative networks (particularly among clinical trials) involving ongoing projects. Mega-fiefdoms don’t help.