Can ChatGPT Revolutionize Neuroscience Education?

Sam Staples

Sam Staples

We have had a few discussion surrounding AI. In the article, "Can ChatGPT Revolutionize Neuroscience Education?," Jasmine Pathan discusses the benefits and limitations that ChatGPT presents to the academic world. Have you had any experiences with ChatGPT? Share those experiences and if you agree with Jasmine's evaluation of ChatGPT possible benefits and limitations.  

• 4 weeks later...
Hugo Sanchez-Castillo

Chispas!!! (is an Spanish word that mean sparkles and is used for exclamation). Hard topic because Im a huge fan of the AI, but my experience with the ChatGTP is not so good. The reason is that, there is many uses that we were did not aware for it. For example making presentations without knowledge, writing homework without read the paper or the book chapter, write paragraphs without understand the source of the information, etc. However I believe that is not the fault of ChatGPT, is matter that we were not prepared for that, we didn't had regulations, or discussions about the use or abuse of this program. When I read the article of Jasmine I realize that is work is HUGE. Because she is doing something and she said something that I agreed with her: ChatGPT is a tool!!!... 

We need to make serious discussions about the use, not only between scientists, but students and professionals. Because the science needs the technology and take advance from that. But the technology can't replace the  researcher, the writer or the student. As teachers, we evaluated the students not the functioning of ChatGPT, when one student give us a paper written entirely with ChatGPT we are evaluating the program not the person.

Cheers

Sai Lavanya Patnala

I fully agree with Jasmine's perspective on ChatGPT, considering it as a supplemental tool and being mindful of its limitations. It's important to acknowledge that it cannot override human cognition. I was excited to learn about its potential application as a learning tool in neuroscience education, where it can simplify complex concepts and personalize information to match an individual's comprehension.

In my personal experience with using ChatGPT as a writing tool, I've found it to help improve my efficiency. However, the output is not always accurate, and I've noticed several instances where the prompts are misunderstood. Therefore, I see ChatGPT as a helpful supplement to enhance human work efficiency, but I don't believe it can replace the actual human brain. I agree that AI tools can enhance learning efficiency, but we should be cautious about potential misuse, as Hugo mentioned. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Daisy Gallardo

Jasmine brings up a great point in terms of taking advantage of what Chat GPT has to offer and how helpful it can be in aiding educators. I agree that its use should be supplementary, but I believe it should primarily be used by educators rather than students. Educators can benefit from rephrasing complex ideas into simpler, more understandable concepts. Students, however, may rely too heavily on Chat GPT, which could prevent them from fully understanding the topic. In my experience, creating summaries or study guides helps me actively engage with the material and retain the information more efficiently. Therefore, using Chat GPT for tasks that bypass active engagement would detract from the students' learning experience.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Jayalakshmi Viswanathan

As an author, I see a lot of debate around the use of AI images and chatGPT for writing and illustration purposes, as well as for educational purposes. In my opinion, chatGPT can be an aide for an educator - as a chalkboard might be - a tool with which to convey concepts. Given the issues with data provenance, biases inherent to datasets that can be propagated, and more, I err on the side of caution. When it comes to illustrations for example, in my opinion, hand drawn imagery has an appeal that AI driven CGIs just don't posses - after all, our brains evolved to appreciate art created by the human hand and the beauty in nature. 

However, AI is here to stay and as it gets better, we can get cleverer at using them in limited use-case scenarios. I also think it can be tremendously helpful in eradicating some language barriers and social determinants of success by helping, say, non-native English speakers understand concepts better with clear explanations available through chatGPT. 

Having played devil's advocate, I would end with what I started - use AI with caution, and as a tool, but always rely on your own insight and logic in how you use these tools. It is also important to weigh the benefits and harm of using AI for the use case under consideration.  

• Like 1