Why Partial Retirement Might Be the Right Choice for You

Sam Staples

Sam Staples

In the article, Why Partial Retirement Might Be the Right Choice for You, Mark P. Mattson PhD shares his experiences navigating retiring and why he ultimately decided on partial retirement. 

Do you find yourself excited about retirement at Mattson mentions, but worry about what you may leave behind retiring "cold turkey"? Share with us how you feel about the possibility of retirement below.

• 3 weeks later...
Julia Araujo

Well... It might be one of the funniest things to read an undergrad student's post on such article. Hilarious, though? I hope not. Let me share some of my perspective...

Unfortunately, time is not limitless, endless or anything we all wish it was. There is no denying! Due to that, we all end up choosing to do things in the face of others. So, hear me out, aren't we kind of always partially retiring?

I still remember the first time I told my father I was retired from dance. From those out there who don't have the context: I left my professional dance career for High School, SATs, more exams and now, as an undergraduate of Medical School. It was such an unrealistic sentence that somehow has brought me to this forum today.

There's no denying on how we are constantly taking decisions and deciding on our futures, but what about the parts in yourself that you felt like they represent you, like they keep doing such? What it - just as my case - I decide to go back on dancing professionally? Would that mean I un-retired? Is it the lack of interruption that makes something worth of saying it deserves a retirement? Or is it the effort you put into it for years and years of your life? Or is it the passion that resides within the definition of a retirement?

Does it still make sense after it has come out of my mind?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Mathew Abrams

Unlike Julia, I am closer to the end of my career than to the beginning; so this is something that I have thought about and often speak about at home. To be honest, I cannot imagine myself being 100% retired. I plan to continue working in neuroscience as long as I am physically and mentally able to do so--whether that is as an employer, employee, or volunteer. I enjoy what I do; it is my major hobby; so quitting is not an option for me. I admire those who leave it all behind and chase new dreams though.

Hugo Sanchez-Castillo

In 1900, at least in Mexico, the life expectancy was 30 years... 30!!!. That means that at the age of 20 or less, you should have done everything with your life. Actually, we are close to 80 years and some scientists said that our life expectancy will be increasing. With that in mind, my first thought is what we did in the working theme?... what do we do with the senior scientists? I believe we should be clear that scientific work has different characteristics and that senior scientists can be more productive in their senior years than in their younger times. But on the other side, we have to offer work, space, etc., to the young fellas that start their careers. I'm pretty sure that is the balance that we are looking for. The balance is to respect an entire life dedicated to science and to respect a new researcher looking for. answers in the nature. The balance, I believe, is not only in money terms, it is the kind of activities after retirement, is change our view about elder people, is recognize the importance of new ideas and perspectives in science that the younger scientists bring. I believe that is a long way to find this balance, but I believe also that we are in the right way to get there.

• 4 weeks later...

For several reasons, I believe that senior researchers/professionals should stay in the university environment (if they wish, of course, and at their own pace). Their experience, knowledge and perspective have immeasurable value, and are very different from the knowledge acquired through papers, experiments or books. The amazing thing is how they manipulate and interpret this knowledge, the memory, the association and and generously share with us. I remember when the AIDS epidemic was at its height, and I was a medical student (yes, I'm that old :)), and we had a case that no one could solve. The patient was taking the most advanced antibiotics and was still dying in front of us. Suddenly, our old microbiology professor, already retired, arrived and said "stop everything and give sulfamethoxazole". With no alternative, we prescribe it. It was an infection forgotten by medicine, but not by him. The patient was cured. That afternoon, we talked about how maintaining a balanced life between part-time science and retired life could be healthy and beneficial for everyone. I believe that this direction is what I am taking, although I do not pretend to be brilliant like our dear professor.