Six Ways to Move Forward After a Setback

neuronline_admin

neuronline_admin

When something at school or work doesn’t unfold as you hoped it would, it can be challenging to let go and move on.

Use this advice from six neuroscientists to help you process situations, move forward, and ultimately build your resilience.

Link back to full article

Amanda Labuza

“…my self worth isn’t wrapped up in scientific success…” YES! This! 1000x repeat this!

This is so hard for me to remember. One of the things I pride myself on is my intelligence. It is what set me apart from others growing up. As a kid I may not have been “cool” but i was smart. Being as scientist has become a part of my identity. And I love that. I love being analytical, creative, and precise. But when there are set backs, when there are mistakes, or I get stuck on something, it makes me feel like I’m not as smart as I thought as I was. And since being a scientist is a defining characteristic of my personality, it makes me question my entire self-worth.

But this quote is amazing. It is a beautiful reminder that our self worth is not entirely based on scientific success. There is also the fact that I am a good person, a kind friend, an active member of the community, etc. And there is also the fact that one set back does not make me unintelligent or worthless. It is part of the process. We all have set backs. It does not make you “dumb”, an “idiot”, or “unworthy” of being there. It just means you are a human doing really hard things and it doesn’t always go perfectly. We are after all doing brain science. That is so impressive, set backs or not.

I resonated with Elizabeth Akin’s advice - setbacks are expected, and are opportunities. If everything turned out as planned, science wouldn’t be nearly as exciting.