Preparing for meetings with your advisor

Michael Oberdorfer

Michael Oberdorfer

Recently the career column in Nature published a piece on how PhD students should prepare for conversations they have with their mentors.

These conversations can be potentially difficult at times. The article suggests useful approaches for making these meetings productive for both parties. A focused agenda is key.

Your thoughts?

I think this varies a lot from lab to lab. I find agendas useful when I’ve gone a long time without a meeting, or if we are discussing more long term topics that week. It can be helpful to keep things organized and make sure I mention everything I wanted to. But if you are meeting with your mentor on a regular basis it isn’t always necessary.

I’d like to clarify that their use of the word “agenda” isn’t necessarily a formal one. I don’t think they are saying you need to type one up, email it before hand, and agree on it before you start. Not unless you have a very formal PI. I think they really just mean to jot down a list of topics you want to cover ie updates, questions, funding to go to SfN, etc.