Frequently Asked Questions

Bianca Williams

Bianca Williams

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Neuronline Community?
The Neuronline Community is the discussion and networking branch of Neuronline. In this online community, neuroscientists at every career stage can share great science, discuss professional development topics, network, forge collaborations, and keep in touch within a trusted forum.

SfN members have access to all community forums. Select forums are open to the public, which includes all annual meeting-related discussions. These topics are open to non-SfN members in order to facilitate communications with key constituencies such as meeting attendees who may not be members.

How do I become a member of the Neuronline Community?

To be a member of the Neuronline Community, you first need to be a member of SfN. To learn more about becoming a SfN member, visit https://www.sfn.org/membership

Who can see my profile and/or postings?
 Neuronline Community users include SfN members and non-SfN members; non-SfN members are restricted in the content they can view. There are a few communities that include non-SfN members, and these members can view postings within these communities, such as the Annual Meeting related discussions.

How do I change my username in the Neuronline Community?
 To change your username, go to your Account Settings and click Change next to Display Name.

How can I manage my email notifications?
 Users can receive updates about both new content posted to the site by following specific forums or users. Manage your SfN notifications by going to your Account Settings and clicking on Notification Settings, which can be found to the right of the page.

Are discussions on Neuronline Community moderated? Why can't I see something that I posted?
 Neuronline Community discussions are moderated by SfN staff in the event a user posts a message that is inappropriate (off-topic or in violation of the Neuronline Community Guidelines). Other members may flag a post as inappropriate, and the SfN Staff will review the message and delete it as needed.

How do I delete a post?
 As a user of Neuronline Community, you can choose to withdraw your post by clicking the trash icon underneath it. It will be hidden and then deleted after 96 hours (about four days). If you wish to have it removed immediately or have chosen to delete a post by accident, email us at digitallearning@sfn.org. You can also edit your post at any time by clicking the ellipsis in the top left-hand corner of the post, and then clicking Edit.

Something inappropriate, off-topic, or offensive was posted in the forums. What should I do?
 Flag posts you consider inappropriate by clicking the ellipsis in the top left-hand corner of the post, and then clicking Report. This will generate a message to the SfN staff who will review the post and take appropriate action.

Can I respond to Neuronline discussion posts via e-mail?
 To contribute to discussions within the Neuronline Community, you must log in to the Neuronline website. While email notifications are available to help ensure you are kept in the loop on the latest discussions, you cannot respond to Neuronline discussion threads by email. The email notifications do, however, include a link back to the site so that you can easily respond to the post online.

What kinds of files can I post in the community?
 Members can post most types of documents and multimedia files that are relevant to the topic of the community.

Can I post copyrighted articles and other materials?
 Members should have or obtain permission to post any copyrighted material before posting to Neuronline Community. For research articles, it is recommended you post a link rather than post the full-text or an abstract of an article since this will allow members who have legitimate access to that article to view it without violating copyright laws. Please refer to the Copyright Notice.

What is a Community Leader?
 Neuronline Community Leaders are engaged members and experts in particular research fields who volunteer their time and efforts to lead discussions, blogs, and recaps of events in the Community. This program is meant to be an extension of conversation for Neuronline-related events. Community Leader applications open annually and any SfN member can apply. Explore Community Leader discussions.