A neuroscientist is fighting sexual harassment

Michael Oberdorfer

Michael Oberdorfer

An article in the journal Science features the issue of sexual harassment in science and BethAnn McLaughlin a neuroscientist at Vanderbilt University Medical Center an activist who is fighting it.

In the past year McLaughlin has become an established presence on twitter (@McLNeuro) and she has created a web site, MeTooSTEM.com, “where scores of women in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) have posted mostly anonymous, often harrowing tales of their own harassment.”

Her activities led to a MIT Media Lab Disobedience Award which she shared with others, as well as recognition from Anita Hill, and a meeting with NIH director Francis Collins. McLaughlin says Collins “apologized for not responding more quickly to sexual misconduct by grantees.” She also received an award from the Society for Neuroscience for “significantly promoting” women.

Her advocacy has led to difficulties for her at Vanderbilt. In the middle of a productive scientific career, she was considered for tenure in 2014, but her tenure consideration was “frozen” in 2015.

BethAnn McLaughlin has raised an important issue. What do you think?

• 3 weeks later...
Amanda Labuza

I’m so sad more people haven’t responded to this. I think the work McLaughlin is doing is amazing. I am happy she is slowly getting recognition for her advocacy. It is heart breaking to think being a whistle blower has hurt her career. Hopefully she can plow the way so young women like me don’t ever need to go through this.