Research!America Advocacy Awards

Amanda Labuza

Amanda Labuza

This past Wednesday Research!America held their 22nd Annual Advocacy Awards. I had the honor of meeting their Legacy Award Recipient, the Honorable John Edward Porter. Porter served as U.S. Representative for Illinois for 21 years, helping to double the NIH budget and increase funding for the CDC and the FDA. I learned about his role in supporting the Human Genome Project and more.

While there, I also got to hear the work of many other amazing people. Dr. Peter Hotez discussed his work with rare diseases. Max Schill, a nine-year-old who can speak better than most scientists I’ve met, spoke on meeting with Congressman and even President Obama on the importance of supporting patients like himself with rare diseases. House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi spoke on the bipartisan support of NIH. It was wonderful to be surrounded by support for science.

Thank you to all the wonderful people who work for scientists. I love doing research, but I only get to do it because of the work of others. It takes politicians, businessmen, patients, and more advocates for scientists to support us. Thank you to everyone who works so we can work hard on finding cures!