"We Are Still Alive As Scientists": A Ukrainian Scientist’s Story of Perseverance

Sam Staples

Sam Staples

While we may have entered a new year, conflicts from the years past have carried over, and in some cases, have hindered scientific research. In the Neuronline video, "'We Are Still Alive As Scientists': A Ukrainian Scientist’s Story of Perseverance," Nana Voitenko discusses the impact the Russia-Ukraine war has had on her research.

Have you experienced opposition that has impacted your research? This could be outside conflict or direct opposition to your research. If so, tell us how you best navigated these obstacles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hugo Sanchez-Castillo

First, I want to say to all scientists that science matters, that even in these complicated conditions, science matters.

When I saw the video I felt sadness for all situations, but at the same time, I felt that there is hope whereas we stand for science. In the same way that the Ukranian Fellows stand and resist for science.

In Mexico, we don't have this kind of problem, but we have different adversities that change society and science (drug cartels, natural disasters, social movements, strikes, etc.). In my case, we faced a huge strike in the 2000 year, I was a student and I was researching with rats and drug discrimination. In the beginning, everybody thought that the strike would be only a few days. However, after two months things changed, the strike did not show possibilities of change and all the researchers and academics started to worry about the future. I remember that we went to talk with the heads of the movement and we explained why we should continue with the science. At this moment we were so nervous because in the past, one social clamor released all the experimental subjects and that was a possible choice for the heads of the strike. After a few days, the heads of the strike told us that we were allowed to continue with the experimental work, but there would be no external resources or participation of any person or entity. We accepted those terms and we did everything (the experiments, the training, the cleaning, the maintenance of the building, the baths, etc!!). The strike was for one year, in that year we stood and resisted for science, It was hard but at the end, we didn't stop science.

Finally, I would like to add that science is part of society, if something happens in society of course it's going to impact science. We should be prepared and ready to stand for science and the changes in our society.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Daisy Gallardo

Dr. Nana Voitenko and her lab were making an effort to continue their research, in any way possible, while fearing for their own and other family members' lives. The effort to save cell cultures, chemicals, and other research materials during the power outage while dealing with the immense mental stress brought on by the war emphasizes their dedication to science. This is truly inspiring as a PhD student when, currently, my only constraint for scientific progress is time. Their experiences put into perspective the ease with which I can continue doing research on a daily basis. 

The biggest takeaway from this, regarding how to navigate obstacles in research, regardless of how minor, is to adapt and pivot. Focus on areas that you can control or make progress on. One example is Dr. Voitenko's transition to developing a "European style" medical school to enhance the training of medical students. She also made use of SfN’s amazing community and led a meaningful change to the issue of male scientists needing funding but not being able to leave the country. 

• Like 2

Sai Lavanya Patnala

Dr. Nana Voitenko's journey from a background in Math and Physics to working in a neuroscience lab is a testament to following one's passion. Her story is inspirational and teaches us that dedication to science can overcome any adversity. Dr. Voitenko persevered and shifted her focus to improving the medical education system. Her actions not only demonstrate hope for a better future but also her dedication to building a brighter tomorrow. Along with continuing her work despite tumultuous times, she is also contributing to the betterment of her country by developing an implant for damaged nerve restoration. 

I am grateful that I haven't encountered any obstacles that have affected my work and education thus far. Nonetheless, I find Dr. Voitenko's courage and commitment to be truly admirable. As a medical student who is trying to build up my career, I have learned to persevere and stay dedicated, even when faced with difficult circumstances.

• Like 1