Neurocore, Betsy DeVos' Brain Training Game

education

A story in the Washington Post describes a major investment by Betsy DeVos. The new secretary of education and her family have a significant investment in a “brain training” company, Neurocore.

This company describes a therapeutic approach using “neuro-feedback” to “train your brain” in overcoming conditions ranging from ADHD and anxiety to autism and depression. The story states that there is no evidence that she plans to introduce this approach to the nation’s schools, but she has promoted it as an approach to treat students with special needs in an educational setting. Stay tuned.

A quote from the article states; “At the very least, DeVos appears to be dangerously naive about what it takes to help people learn - especially children with special needs.”

What do you think?

The NYTimes had an extensive article on Neurocore and stated that there is no independent evidence based evaluation of the claims that Neurocore training has any benefits for people with ADHD, ASD or depression, however there is plenty of evidence that DeVos and her family will benefit from apparent validation of the Neurocore model based on her psotion as Secretary of Education and from increased use of Neurocore in schools and other facilities.
Hollis Cline

Thanks for the additional input. I agree that DeVos will use her position as secy. of education to leverage Neurocore implementation in the schools. Not only is this in keeping with what I would politely call the “opportunism” of the current administration but it could do real harm in the schools.

Mike

Mike Oberdorfer

There is proof for games such as Brainware Safari, which has studies showing increased reading fluency and attention.

Pinch Sulzberger counts as a source of information? With fewer than 6 months of data, the NYT is thin intellectual gruel indeed.
Nothing substitutes for good data.

It would have been helpful had you cited the source of the anonymous quote. Please do so, that we might better evaluate its credibility. Personal agendas easily penetrate porous online discussions. How is the reader to know whether indeed the NeuroCore detractors are themselves owners and developers of competing commercial products?

Thanks

I think the burden of proof lies with the promotors of Neurocore. How about an independent peer-reviewed study which does not involve anyone associated with Neurocore. Are you aware of such a study? I checked the FDA website since it is promoted as a kind of “Therapy” but found nothing on the topic. Please let me know if there is an appropriately organized, population-based, independent study that has passed the muster of peer review in the published literature.

MO