Live Chat | Get the Most Out of Neuroscience 2018

livechat
sfn18

Hi! We know that the convention centers can be a overwhelming for some. Convention center signs along with signs created especially for SfN assist in getting around the meeting. Additionally, the mobile app has a helpful feature where the app will indicate on convention center maps exactly where a session room is located. As a hint for navigating the San Diego Convention Center, the entrance is on the ground level, along with the Poster Floor and Exhibit Hall. On the Upper Level, you will find Ballroom 20, which is the lecture hall, and all other session rooms.

Good Day! Would you recommend an undergraduate to attend such event?

1. I highly recommend attending the presidential lectures–the speakers are chosen for a reason.

2. I struggle with this every year. If there are two talks that overlap, I ask a friend who has similar interests to go to one while I go to the other. That way we cover our bases. It is even more difficult when there are two social events that conflict. I usually try to make an appearance at both, but if this isn’t possible, I try to go to the event where I will have the strongest social connections. If all else fails, I use Twitter to see which social event may be the most interesting.

Submitted question:

What preparations should I make before I arrive at the meeting and what can I prepare once I get there?

I absolutely recommend that an undergrad should attend. Its a great place to start learning about the field, what areas are of greatest interest to you and what graduate programs might provide the best for your interests.

Absolutely. SfN is a great place to think about your future. I recommend attending the Grad School fair if you are interested in pursuing a PhD, or meeting with some of the exhibitors if you are thinking of going the non-academic route.

Regarding what to prepare and when, I try to broadly outline my days ahead of time. When am I presenting, are there specific social events that are important to me, or meetings that people have requested. The at the meeting, I try to refine my daily schedule the night before each day.

Every year, I use the app or the online program to find talks or posters that may interest me. I do this at least a week in advance in case other topics of interest come to mind. The worst feeling is finding out a talk after the fact. Perhaps most importantly, I have learned to schedule breaks during the day. These include lunch breaks and even naps (I’m getting old). You really, really want to avoid burnout. Finally, I ask my friends and colleagues if they are going to SfN so I know who to contact about social events. In my opinion, the social aspect of SfN is equally if not more important than the science.

Submitted question:

Is there a way to search all posters and talks for a specific funding source acknowledgement?

Absolutely!! Our moderators would probably give the best advice, but I think that attending as an undergrad is a great way to start connecting with those in your research area. For networking opportunities, we recommend attending the Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience (F.U.N.) Social. The F.U.N. Social will take place on Sunday, November 4 at 6:45 p.m. and is open to all registered attendees. There, you will be able to connect with other undergrads interested in neuroscience. For more information, visit www.sfn.org/socials.

Great question! If you know the name of the grant, the grant’s name can be searched via the Neuroscience Meeting Planner and the mobile app. Search results will show presenters who added the name of the applicable grant to their presentation.

Submitted question:

What do you think are the best ways to keep up (with) what are the new trends are in the neuroscience field?

One other thing–I suggest resting as much as possible before leaving for SfN. You may be tempted to gather more data for your poster right before your flight, but trust me, you want to arrive well rested and relatively stress-free.

I think the mini symposium topics are a good indicator of what is up and coming in neuroscience.

Are there any summer research programs in neuroscience in USA for undergraduate from outside USA presented in the meeting because when I searched most of the programs are for US citizens only.

And also, I noticed most of the awards and travel grants are only for US citizens.

The SfN professional development travel awards are for trainees anywhere in the world.

SfN offers travel awards for trainees outside of the USA (https://www.sfn.org/Meetings/Meeting-Awards/Trainee-Professional-Development-Award)

Submitted question:

Is there a way that I can be more proactive about meeting more people in my field at the meeting other than going to socials?

Thank you very much. But I know it will be very competitive. They offer it every year right? If it will, I want to try that opportunity.