As SfN is about to commence in just over 72 hours, and here are some tips that I would like to share, for making the most out of the conference:
- Network! Network! Network! Don’t hang out only with your friends or lab mates. Talk to new people. You never know, you might find potential collaborators or even a new position.
- If you are looking for jobs, this is the perfect timing. Many professors are looking to hire and they would be more than happy to meet you at SfN. Carry copies of your CV.
- If you want to meet a professor in particular, don’t hesitate to email them a few days in advance to schedule a meeting time. That’s another good way to connect.
- Prepare a small talk before talking to Professors (~ 2-3 min). You should be prepared to answer questions about what you do, why you want to talk to them, and your common research interests.
- Carry a notebook and a pen. Some people like to take notes on their laptops or tablets, but that won’t be helpful while talking to people, especially during your poster session.
- Have your visiting cards ready. This is important when you exchange contact information with someone.
- Don’t forget to attend the socials, they are a great platform to network.
- Have a printout of the sessions and posters you want to attend ready, just in case you don’t have access to internet there.
- Another great time to meet others is your poster session. You can invite people to your poster and this is a good chance to showcase your research skills, and tell them why you want to work with them in future.
- Make sure you have your email ID on your poster.
Lastly, enjoy the conference and make the most out of it.