Abstract Submission Live Chat

livechat
sfn18

Join the Abstract Submission Live Chat | Wednesday, April 18, 2-3 p.m. EDT

Do you have any burning questions about submitting an abstract for Neuroscience 2018? Join us on April 18 for an online discussion on Neuronline with Kang Shen, Chair of the Program Committee, and Ellen Lumpkin, Theme D Chair of the Program Committee. Don’t miss your chance to chat directly with abstract reviewers!

Participants are encouraged to submit questions in advance of the live chat in the discussion thread below.

Related Resources:

Submit abstracts at http://www.sfn.org/cfa

Facilitators

Kang Shen, PhD
Kang Shen is a professor of neuronal cell biology in the department of biology at Stanford University. He is also an investigator in the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Kang’s research focuses on the dendrite morphogenesis, neuronal polarization and synapse formation. He earned his Bachelor of Medicine degree from Tongji Medical University from China, his Ph. D. degree from Duke University and completed postdoctoral training from the University of California San Francisco.

Ellen A Lumpkin, PhD
Ellen A. Lumpkin is an associate professor of physiology & cellular biophysics and of somatosensory biology (in dermatology) at Columbia University. She is also Co-Director of the Thompson Family Foundation Initiative in Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy & Sensory Neuroscience. She previously was a Sandler Fellow in the department of physiology at UC San Francisco and an assistant professor of neuroscience, physiology & molecular biophysics, and molecular & human genetics at Baylor College of Medicine. Lumpkin’s research focuses on genes, cells and neural signals that give rise to skin sensations such as touch, pain and itch. Dr. Lumpkin earned her BS in Animal Science from Texas Tech University and performed her PhD training at UT Southwestern Medical Center and The Rockefeller University. She completed her postdoctoral training at the University of Washington.

Good afternoon and welcome to the Abstract Submission Live Chat! We’ll be getting started at 2 p.m. EDT. Feel free to start posting your questions!

Hello Janel, Kang and SfN members! Looking forward to chatting about abstract submission.

Submitted question:

I don’t have my results from my project yet. If I’ll have them in time for the meeting can I still submit an abstract now?

normall, i would suggest my students to wait until they have some results before submitting an abstract because that is the best way to get feedbacks from the meeting attendees

I agree. Presenting your results at SfN is an exciting way to get feedback from experts in your field.

For some fields, ‘registered reports’ are becoming a common way to transparently report the experimental design of a study at its beginning. In that case, an abstract that describes such a study could be appropriate.

I realize that this may very difficult but has there been any consideration to reduce the number of poster abstracts or abstracts in general. The last time I went to SFN i spent most of my time trying to reach a room or poster session. It becomes somewhat frustrating to try to deal with all of the information and the exhibits. The SFN has become a massive overload of information.

I was a bit confused on how to pick the theme an abstract falls under. We want to demonstrate a new way of analyzing human data using a new software tool. Would this be I.07.a or I.07.c?

Hi! I’d recommend using the curated itineraries, available on the Neuroscience Meeting Planner, to narrow down sessions that you many be interested in at the meeting. The curated itineraries are topic-based schedules made by Program Committee members, our resident neuroscience experts! Check out the topics from 2017 at www.sfn.org/nmp. This year’s curated itinerary topics will be made available when the NMP launches in late-August.

Submitted question:

Is there anything I can do to guarantee a nanosymposium spot?

Placing your abstract within an appropriate theme and topic is an important consideration for getting your presentation sessioned with similar abstracts! One approach is to create a linking group with your lab mates and other colleagues who work in similar fields. This will alert program members to abstracts that should be placed together on the poster floor or in a nanosymposium.

With regard to your specific question, I.07.c seems like a good choice for your abstract. I recommend that you list I.07.a as a second choice, so that the sessioner can place your abstract with similar ones during sessioning.

i also usually tell my students to make an priority tier list. Cover the most relevant and important abstracts first, before moving down to the list. This way, you won’t end up spending too much time on things that are not essential.

That an approach but really does not solve all of the problems. I have been going to SFN meetings since 1984 just to let you know that I am not a new comer.
The distance between the first poster and the last one seems to be about one mile or maybe even more. The distance between the session rooms are even worse.
Thank you

I struggle with meeting fatigue and information overload at many conferences. One strategy is to build in some downtime to regroup each day. I go for a run or drop into a museum for half an hour.

Remember, SfN is a scientific buffet - no one expects you to ‘taste’ every dish!

There are no guarantees for a nano symposium, but I’ll post some tips that will improve your chances!

• Contact your colleagues to form a linking group of exciting abstracts that fit into a cohesive topic.

• The nano topic should be timely, exciting and include abstracts with new results. Each abstract should indicate that a nanosymposium is preferred.

• The linking group should have 7-14 abstracts, with no more than two abstracts from any one group.

• When you submit the linking group, write a punchy and compelling description for why the nano is timely and exciting.

• Don’t forget to propose yourself as the nano chair!

Good luck!

Submitted question:

Can I submit for the meeting an abstract for a review of research?

Well that’s an approach but not one that solves my concerns. I attend meetings for information. We come from outside of the USA to attend these meetings so it is important to gain as much information as possible. It is also important that we receive feedback from our research. I have been going to smaller meetings that are more focused on my line of research.I regret because I never missed a SFN meeting from 1984 to 2000.

most of the abstracts contain original data. However, if the analyses of existing literature offers original, novel ideas, that would also be appropriate for an abstract.