Transitioning from technician to PhD student

Kimberly Raab-Graham

Kimberly Raab-Graham

As I sit on many departmental admissions committees, I realize the value of having a “gap year” or a few years as a tech prior to entering into graduate school. However, sometimes that transition from “technician” to PhD student is difficult. All of sudden you are in charge of the direction and the success of your project. For those who have made the transition or PIs who have advice on how to successfully make the transition please add your sage advice below.

I was a tech for five years before going to grad school. I think what helped me the most in my transition was being actively engaged in the lab while I was a tech. I asked grad students and postdocs in the lab asked about the scientific questions they were trying to answer with the expts I was doing for them. I also had my own projects in the lab, which meant I had to do lit searches to figure out what expts to do and how to do them, what reagents/supplies I needed to order, and present the data at lab meetings. I also sat in a few courses/lectures the PI was directing/giving so I had a better idea of what to expect in grad school.

Hope this helps!