Is there a best time to have kids?

Amanda Labuza

I’m curious if anyone out there has advice about the “best” time to have kids in your career. Particularly for Americans who don’t get much maternity leave? I am fully aware that everyone takes their own path and a working woman should be allowed to have kids whenever she chooses to. I’m not trying to diminish that. That being said, is there a time that is (relatively) easier to take maternity leave than others? Does anyone have any helpful advice for young women choosing this time-demanding career?

This is an interesting topic. Many many years ago I made the decision that I had to choose between the two
Cs : children or career because I knew I could not handle both. I chose my career and even though I was warned by many people that I would regret my choice I never did.
This is me.
Jaadeja

There is no “best” time - decisions about work-life balance, particularly related to family, are best made together with your partner. The important things is that you and your partner agree about parenting, childcare, and schooling. I did 2 postdocs and had 1 baby per postdoc. My girls are the best part of me. Babies fit into all stages of your career - it is all about scheduling and support systems. If you have that worked out - have the babies!

IMO there is no “best” time to have kids if you want to be in a demanding job like academia. Now if you have decided that you want to have both then grad school is prob a good time, when you know that you’ll be in the same place for a few years and relatively responsibility-free (as opposed to TT faculty job). You need to make sure that you can actually afford it though! kids are expensive :wink: an important factor is that you are much younger (again, comparing to TT job) in grad school, I can’t stress enough how different it is to have a child in your 20s vs. 30s and older, stamina counts! I had one kid in grad school and a second one starting my first postdoc, it was a lot to juggle (being married to another scientist too!) but I am a TT faculty now and could not imagine doing this with a baby or toddler!!! Ultimately, it’s a personal decision and you need to find what works best for you. I love having kids and I love my career as well!

These are all very diverse answers. Obviously, I respect everyone’s decision. You definitely need to do what is best for you. I guess what I really want to know is why did you think the time you had kids was the best time. What were the pros/cons of having kids during a post-doc compared to faculty position? In your opinions?

Gabriella Panuccio

I have personally delayed so long waiting for the “best” time to come that now it’s too late… Do I regret it? A little. If I could turn back in time, I would probably do it when still a PhD student or during my first post-doc. Unfortunately, at that time in my life I was in North America on a temporary work permit, with no rights about maternity and sick leave. Having to provide for myself, I didn’t have enough backup resources to support myself during pregnancy and the baby(ies) afterwards. My main concern has always been that I work with animals and I handle toxic chemicals, so mine would have been considered a pregnancy at risk, consequently banning me from conducting my daily lab activities and resulting in a 12-18 months unemployment period.
I think that everyone should follow their instinct and not think too much nor plan too much.