Artificial Intelligence in Neuroscience

Sam Staples

Artificial Intelligence (AI) has had a massive impact on data sharing mandates, implementation of the FAIR principles, and data reuse. How do you believe AI affects scientific work in Neuroscience? 

• 2 weeks later...
Julia Araujo

From our most recent bi-monthly meeting, there are two things I'd like to comment on this statement above. First, for better or for worse, I rely mostly on this two main branches of the discussion just to synthesize something that can become so complex. Secondly, such a crucial subject - based on how multifactorial it is - can lead us to unprecedented contributions, emphasising these from our local Community. For an instance, I expect that the post I currently share will only motivate my other colleagues on sharing the brilliant contributions they had on the topic back on the meeting I had mentioned. Certainly, I'm not going to establish any conclusions, although, at least, I might get my own thoughts slightly organized on this world of possibilities in order to get it started.

Back to the oath - just kidding - I'll start with the positive impacts AI promises Neuroscience research passionates like us.  From assistance on medical diagnosis, analysing exams and figuring out patterns, all the way up to identifying authenticity on published papers, AI can compute information on unthinkable scales and proportions... After all, do things that are unlikely or uncharacteristic of the human abilities and do things that are impossible for organic chemistry based bodies, though I tend to avert from these types for thoughts, specially when we see kindness, honesty and other traits of humanity: things AI will never be able to do. Will it?

Well…from this considerations, I go towards the other side. Negatively, behind the data shared and reused, the FAIR principles to be implemented and so many other AI possibilities, the same carbon-hydrogen-oxygen beings work at, not doing things as they’re supposed to, forgetting about the damaging - or worse, not forgetting and doing it the same way - that could be provoked whenever the AI (and the technologies in general) are implemented badly. Yes, the possibilities are not only by the speed of internet, not simply virtual, they’re also endless and, pretty much, concrete changes.

It’s kind of funny to think how AI is not the problem by the end. But, of course, it could never be created if it wasn’t for the real intelligence - used for the best or for the worse - the human one. 

What else do you all have to share? (that's not data, LOL)

• Like 2

Hugo Sanchez-Castillo

I love the movies: 2001 space odyssey; I robot; The matrix; etc. but in all of these movies the main premise was "What happens when the IA shows self-conscience?... My first thought in that sense will be: We are talking of the same?; Do we face an uncontrolled entity that eventually could destroy us? the answer is not. To avoid that, we must face the problem with ethics, courage, and a clear sense of direction. AI could be an amazing tool for exploring new fields, having a rapid answer to a difficult topic, etc. but I think that AI is a tool, not a substitution, AI can't substitute our thinking, our writing skills, our curiosity.

Recently, one student shows to me an essay and said: look professor, I did it with AI and I think that is pretty good and I look smarter than everybody here. I look it up the essay and thought, really?... The student only put the topic, the machine did all the work, and the machine put all the references. The student never read it (but he did the work of writing the question and turning on the computer). We have to find out how to prevent the unethical use of IA and show the new generations the line between the advantages and the loss of creativity... As researchers, we have to recognize that scientific creation is a product of our knowledge, environment, social positions, etc. The IA does not have all these elements and because of that the results could be far away from us.

• Like 2

Hugo Sanchez-Castillo
On 6/12/2023 at 1:30 PM, Hugo Sanchez-Castillo said:

I love the movies: 2001 space odyssey; I robot; The matrix; etc. but in all of these movies the main premise was "What happens when the IA shows self-conscience?... My first thought in that sense will be: We are talking of the same?; Do we face an uncontrolled entity that eventually could destroy us? the answer is not. To avoid that, we must face the problem with ethics, courage, and a clear sense of direction. AI could be an amazing tool for exploring new fields, having a rapid answer to a difficult topic, etc. but I think that AI is a tool, not a substitution, AI can't substitute our thinking, our writing skills, our curiosity.

Recently, one student shows to me an essay and said: look professor, I did it with AI and I think that is pretty good and I look smarter than everybody here. I look it up the essay and thought, really?... The student only put the topic, the machine did all the work, and the machine put all the references. The student never read it (but he did the work of writing the question and turning on the computer). We have to find out how to prevent the unethical use of IA and show the new generations the line between the advantages and the loss of creativity... As researchers, we have to recognize that scientific creation is a product of our knowledge, environment, social positions, etc. The IA does not have all these elements and because of that the results could be far away from us.

The first law is that a robot shall not harm a human, or by inaction allow a human to come to harm.

The second law is that a robot shall obey any instruction given to it by a human

The third law is that a robot shall avoid actions or situations that could cause it to come to harm itself.

Isaac Asimov´s laws

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
Mathew Abrams

I am a bit conflicted about the use of AI in neuroscience. The optimist in me sees all the potential benefits, but Hugo has raised an important challenge: will its use result in the "dumbing" of neuroscience which will ultimately lead to a loss of creativity. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Srikanth Ramaswamy

I'm taking an optimistic outlook. In my opinion, AI has indeed had a significant impact on scientific work in neuroscience. I have summarised how AI has impacted scientific work in neuroscience:

1. Neuroimaging analysis: AI has played a crucial role in processing and analyzing neuroimaging data, such as functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and diffusion tensor imaging (DTI). AI-driven techniques can help with tasks like image segmentation, registration, and feature extraction, making it easier for researchers to study brain structures and connectivity.

2. Disease diagnosis and biomarker discovery: AI is being used to develop diagnostic tools for neurological disorders, like Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and epilepsy. By training AI models on large neuroimaging and clinical datasets, researchers can identify specific biomarkers or patterns indicative of these conditions. This can lead to earlier and more accurate diagnoses, potentially improving patient outcomes.

3. Drug Discovery and Development: AI has accelerated the drug discovery process in neuroscience by analyzing vast databases of molecular structures and simulating their interactions with neural receptors and pathways. This assists in identifying potential drug candidates and predicting their efficacy in treating neurological conditions.

4. Advancing theoretical models: AI has enabled researchers to test and refine theoretical models of brain function. Through simulations and computational models, AI aids in understanding complex neural networks and their underlying mechanisms.

Overall, AI has significantly impacted scientific work in neuroscience by enhancing data analysis, understanding disease, and developing therapeutics. As AI continues to evolve, its integration into neuroscience research will likely lead to more groundbreaking discoveries and improved healthcare outcomes for neurological conditions.

Edited by Srikanth Ramaswamy
  • Like 2

• Sam Staples unpinned this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.