What are you Researching?

Sam Staples

What an amazing idea this topic is!

In my case, I’m still over the course of my undergraduate degree, I haven't stablished in a single research topic. Nonetheless, I'd like to present my story with Neuroscience so far. I hope you all enjoy it!

Throughout High School, with the help of my amazing Biology professor MA. Alvissus, I was able to participate at an international congress, a result of my first and second articles. An analysis of the internet impacts on the Anti-vaccination Movement (at Brazil) and a review on Cognitive Decline summed up my initial interaction with Immunology and, most importantly, introduced me to Neuroscience more profoundly than ever.

Before starting my current college undergraduation - but after having completed High School, because life is complicated - Maths and Physics got me deepening my studies into Neuroimaging (including a non-credit specialization I completed online). Among other courses, I got dazzled towards much more than studies of the brain, I was more certain than ever: I would become a researcher someday. 

Months pass by and I wrote a revision onto Neuroimaging research patterns, which was submitted (though, unfortunately, not accepted at a Journal) but, after all, presented myself to the editors. This interaction provided me an unbelievable invitation: to peer review an article - which was later published - at the same Journal.

Nowadays, at college, I found it important to rephrase that, much more than new courses, or even passion, the knowledge of Maths and Physics helped me so much. Both to find my way to wish to understand a MRI machine and to review an article and its statistical data: I appreciate the formulas and the numbers. 

Mostly, I see myself deepening into Neuroimaging, including computational, mathematical, physical, chemical and biological topics. Specifically, Neural Networks, Statistics, Medical Physics, Nano-contrast Development and Neuroplasticity are part of what motivate me towards prospective researches. We’ll see how college will go… Shall STEM help me!

• Like 1

Mathew Abrams

I am currently working on developing open access, multimedia resources (tutorials, courses, and guidelines) to help the neuroscience community implement FAIR data management practices in their research. The open neuroscience community is composed of an amazing group of dedicated "community servants". They volunteer their time and effort to develop open source and open access tools, standards, and infrastructure for the greater good of neuroscience as a discipline; and they are not deterred by the slow adoption of these practices of the neuroscience community-at-large; they keep plugging away to solve the issues related to data integration, sharing, management, and analysis. If you would like to check out my work, please visit: TrainingSpace and INCF FAIR Roadmap.

• Like 2

Hugo Sanchez-Castillo

Hello!! I'm working with stress... and im studying stress (bad joke I know, sorry). We are interested in the Neurobiology of the stress and de dissociative disorders. We are looking for differentiate the participation of the glutamatergic system in males and females. Besides, we are looking how the social isolation produces an impact in stressed and non stressed animals and the participation of the amygdala-Hippocampus-prefrontal cortex axis. Finally, we are working with an endemic octopus from Mexico (Octopus Maya) to understand the cognitive process (learning and memory, stress, etc.) and how a neural network can do everything without a brain without specific structures,  (hippocampus, nuclei accumbens, amygdala, etc.), can behave and perform in the same way as other species with another kind of brain.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
valeria muoio

Hi! 

I've been working with translational neuroscience. I am part of a multidisciplinary team (with neurosurgeons, neurologists, neuropediatricians, scientists in the basic area) and we work so that the research developed in our laboratories can reach our patients. I am directly involved on two main fronts: brain tumors and cerebral palsy. At the university, we are studying study optimization techniques and increased performance in our students.

• Like 2

Katrina Armstrong

Hello everyone! My work focuses on the interplay between the brainstem and spinal cord for movement.  Specifically, I am interested in a subpopulation of serotonin neurons in the caudal ventral medulla and their role in initiating/facilitating movement. 

My research uses a variety of techniques, including traditional electrophysiology (in vivo fictive locomotion preparation) as well as new tools such as optogenetics and chemogenetics. So far, we have discovered that activation of a small subset of serotonin neurons is able to concomitantly activate both motor networks and autonomic networks. We are currently on the last edits of our paper and hope to submit soon for publication.  

• Like 2

• Sam Staples unpinned this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.