Staying Resilient in the Face of Challenges

neuronline_admin

neuronline_admin

Setbacks are inevitable. While they may feel catastrophic in the moment, with the right outlook, challenges can be the key to learning, improving, and moving forward.

Here, peers and colleagues share ways they adapt in the face of missteps large and small.

Consider how their experiences can help reshape your perspective and navigate your own path onward, even when the bigger picture seems out of reach.

What are your tactics for staying resilient in a demanding, rigorous field? Don’t give failure the last word — join the conversation below.

Link back to full article

Karina Alvina

keep working! that’s the key :slight_smile: it also helps to know when to change strategies if something continues to not work in the way we expect, at the same time unexpected results can lead to amazing findings, we just need to be open minded and flexible! (which means to accept when we were wrong).

I find that stepping back for a moment after the initial shock and horror fade to put things into perspective helps. It is also important to take care of yourself even in the face of mistakes or oversights. Your work can’t get done if you are tired/hungry/over-caffeinated. Get some rest and think about what really matters. Then jump right back on that horse!

It can be disappointing to spend so many hours preparing a grant application and have it receive a score below the cut-off or - even worse - triaged. I’ve served on study section, and many grants that don’t get funded are really, really good. So some simple math puts things in perspective - if funding levels are at 10%, I need to submit about 10 grants to ensure that at least one is funded.

Always have an outlet/hobby of some sort. That has helped me tremendously during challenging times. Also, it is a good to take a short break and regroup. Your physical and mental wellbeing come first!