Hosting an online conference

Jessica Matchynski-Franks

Jessica Matchynski-Franks

Hello,

I'm the president of the Michigan Chapter. We hosted an online conference using Gathertown in October. It is essentially a conference center video game where the attendees walk around as avatars, can interact with live video chat; walk around rooms full of posters for live presentation; have talks available for all attendees; and much more. After a lot of research, this was the best online platform for a live-interactive event and the most affordable. We had very positive comments from our members: that this was "the most life-like online conference"; the "most engaging online conference"; "the best online conference that they've attended."

If you are interested in doing this for your members I'd be happy to set up a link to allow you into our conference center to look around. I also have contacts that can help if you would want to hire someone to help run it. It does take a fair amount of time to upload the posters onto the poster boards and you'd want to have at least one person that can help with technical issues during the conference. However, if you are on a budget and you are tech savvy it is not too hard to learn how to do (I'd say SPSS is more difficult 😉 ). I wouldn't mind sharing our template. Email me if you are interested.

Best,

Jessica Matchynski-Franks, PhD

jmatchynski@rochesteru.edu