(Re)claiming my scientific identity during dual pandemics - Article by SfN Awardee

Stephanie Vose

Stephanie Vose

(Re)claiming my scientific identity during dual pandemics
@Ashlea Morgan (2016 NSP Scholar)
Jul 10, 2020 · 7 min read

We are in the midst of two insidious threats to life. One of these, COVID-19, is new, [but disproportionately affects the Black and Latinx community]. The other, unjust and violent discrimination against Black people, is much older and deeply entrenched. How in the world will we overcome? Our emotions are raw and that can feel paralyzing. But, lives are at stake so action is required. We must respond…

-from “If not now, when? If not us, who? Perspectives on Stepping Up During Dual Pandemics” on the Columbia Researchers Against COVID-19 (CRAC) blog

If not now, when? If not us, who? is a common maxim but it captured where I was when I wrote the words above. I was affected by the public trauma witnessed by all who are existing during this time of intersecting pandemics. I was struck by the lived experiences of grief and private trauma... 

Read the rest of the article on Medium: https://medium.com/@ashleaamorgan/re-claiming-my-scientific-identity-during-dual-pandemics-daa60efde14d