Black Lives Matter and Neuroscience: Why This Moment Matters

Andrew Chen

On July 2 at 12 p.m. EDT, members of SfN and the neuroscience community will be hosting a panel discussion called “Black Lives Matter and Neuroscience: Why This Moment Matters.” The discussion will be moderated by @Joanne_Berger_Sweeney, PhD, and will feature @nii_addy, PhD, @Marguerite Matthews, PhD, and @Fitzroy Wickham. During the discussion, our panelists will speak about challenges diverse neuroscientists face within the field and provide guidance on how the neuroscience community can leverage this moment to influence change. Additionally, the panel will discuss the impact of COVID-19 on the tenure clock for junior faculty, and how that impacts faculty of color. Neuroscientists of all backgrounds are encouraged to attend and contribute to the discussion.

Learn more and register for this webinar on Neuronline.

The panelists will also be available to chat with in this thread after the webinar has concluded and will continue the conversations stemming from the webinar.

• Like 3
Kimberle Jacobs

Just saw the webinar today - sorry I missed being there live on Friday.  It was really excellent.  A few nuggets I'll take with me: President Sweeney being asked to be VP of a diversity group and declining and suggesting she should be VP of research instead.  I liked this - easy to understand and take with you as an ally.  Also white people need to advocate for black scientists to be in positions of power that they deserve.  We NEED to understand why black scientists only receive 2% of grants while they are 6% of scientists (at which we must already do better). And finally, the universities need to maintain public statistics of number and percent of black faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and graduate students.  These are not all I learned, but just very important nuggets.

• Like 3