How is COVID-19 impacting your research?

Stephanie Vose

Stephanie Vose

It's no news that the COVID-19 virus has many institutions concerned about public health and safety. As many universities and institutions around the world are going remote, or shutting down entirely, we'd like to give you to the opportunity to discuss any challenges your own lab is facing and how you're overcoming those challenges. Is your research being impacted by any mandatory closures? 

Leave your replies below and check out what others are saying about COVID-19 in the broader Neuronline Community discussion thread.  

• Like 3

Ricardo Augusto Leoni de Sousa

COVID-19 virus has leaded the institution where I am based in Brazil to shut down 90% of the activities. Basically, we kept the researches that were already running and some vital areas of general administration are still working. The universities in Brazil did not act in the same way. The institution where I am based is in Minas Gerais (a state of Brazil) and we stopped our activities since last saturday. Some Brazilian Universities are working normally until next wednesday. So, I will just talk about the experience that I am having where I am based. I am supervising the researches in the lab from the undergraduating and graduating students at this moment. I am a post-doc here. They are working normally. Most of our researches are performed with rats or mice. The projects of the students were not directly affected. Although, the students are facing some troubles. For example: public transportation is reduced in the city where I am . Thus , students are getting a hard time just to arrive to the university. Besides, if you are taking buses right now you are at risk of getting the COVID-19 virus. So, we are having an extremely delicated situation. To solve the pandemia problem and to get our students safer we are doing a few things. We are trying to organize lifts. Thus, nobody will be in public transports for the next days reducing the chances of contamination. We are washing hands, arms and face with alcohol 70% every 30 minutes just for being in contact with others. The use of masks in the lab is a must. No one that does not have an important moment of their own project going on is allowed to go to the lab. We are trying to reduce on this way the social contact. We have teams working right now to guarantee that the animals are in a excelent and healthy condition. I do not think that things will get worse. I believe that we are living the worst moment of the pandemia here right now. So, we are getting to sail through. It's all good here and I hope that with you too. 

Julian Naizaque

Our lab belongs to the Instituto Nacional de Salud based in Bogota which is the reference laboratory in Colombia to test the suspected cases for COVID-19. People and equipment were required from us to attend the huge amount of suspected cases to be confirmed. Thus, some experiments had to be suspended. However, in our laboratory, we've been working on those activities that can be performed according to institutional restrictions. For example, we're performing some experiments with animals and writing reports and articles. Additionally, we're checking what we're able to do from our home to avoid a full stop in our labors. Despite our research is being affected by this emergency, we´re struggling to handle this situation. 

• Like 1

Priscila Chiavellini

My lab is in Argentina. Our government has declared mandatory quarentine. My institute only allows one person per group to do the essential tasks. We hope these regulations help to flat the curve. We are also receiving online training to diagnose SARS-Cov2 if neccesary.

Stay safe.

Priscila

KathiaRamirez

Hi,  I work from Mexico City, we still are in phase 1 but we are taking precautions.  Our local authorities (at the Institute) suggested that, starting this week, only 4 people/lab are permited. So, as we work with rodents, we had to diminish the mice populations and cut down some experiments.  It was hard because we had to priorized, but our PI encouraged us to work in our papers and thesis at home.  Also, This year i was applying to a CSHL course, i really do not know what will happend with our applications, but i think all the courses will be reschedule.  

I belive this actions will help to reduce the virus spread and everything will be back to normal soon.  

Edited by KathiaRamirez
  • Like 1

Isis Nem De Oliveira Souza

I am in the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro and the life sciences research activities are all halted. The building is pretty much serving as an extension of the University Hospital and a few research groups are working on sample collection and diagnosis, so circulation inside the building is disencouraged. These labs and the government in general have been asking for volunteers with experience in biomol methods to help as work load will undoubtedly increase. Chemistry and Pharmacy labs are using their stocks and working on making 70% alcohol as demand increases. Animal housing facilities are sadly euthanasing the majority of animals so animal housing staff can work less hours and in smaller groups. All others are working from home and doing their best to keep the public well informed, debunk fake news and promote social distancing and hand hygiene. As sad as it is to see all projects reaching a full stop, I am SO proud of the scientific community here for coming together and helping society as we can in these hard times. 🙂