2019-2020 Live Chat #1 - Anxiety in Academia and Transition to Industry (2014 LATP Alum)

Stephanie Vose

• Stephanie Vose pinned this topic
Stephanie Vose

Hello everyone and welcome to the first live chat of the 2019-2020 LATP!  

• Like 3

Ricardo Augusto Leoni de Sousa
3 minutes ago, Stephanie Vose said:

Thank you!

• Like 1

Stephanie Vose

We are working with our host, 2014 LATP Alum, Dr. Diego Ordonez  right now. Seems to be having trouble accessing the Community page 

• Like 1

Julian Naizaque
4 minutes ago, Stephanie Vose said:

Thanks! I'm ready

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stephanie Vose said:

hello!! nice to meet you all

• Like 1

Just now, Juan Zegers said:

hello!! nice to meet you all

Nice to meet you Juan! My name is Ricardo and I am from Brazil. Where are you from?

3 minutes ago, Stephanie Vose said:

We are working with our host, 2014 LATP Alum, Dr. Diego Ordonez  right now. Seems to be having trouble accessing the Community page 

We are waiting ¨anxiously¨ hahahahah

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricardo De Sousa said:

Nice to meet you Juan! My name is Ricardo and I am from Brazil. Where are you from?

Hi Ricardo ! i am from Chile

Stephanie Vose

Hi Dr. Ordonez - you can begin with a brief introduction of who you are and your research. Then you can begin discussing your personal experiences with anxiety in academia and your transition to industry. 

Diego Ordonez

Then, I was contacted from a friend that was doing his PhD in Canada (Edmonton). His professor wanted to do an interview with me. I had the interview, and I was accepted to PhD program in neuroscience

• Like 1

Stephanie Vose

Does anyone have any questions for Dr. Ordonez or have any personal experiences with anxiety and pressure to be successful in academia? 

Diego Ordonez

This professor was happy with my resume. I had a medical degree, and a master in Neuroscience that was focused on the role of ApoE on autophagia. She saw a great potential because I finished my master in 2 year in a country (Colombia) that is difficult to do research in a short period of time  

Javier Palma-Espinosa

Yes, I Do.  Regarding with the anxiety, what was his experience involving the whole academic structure to cope with the whole alumni anxiety?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Diego Ordonez said:

Then, I was contacted from a friend that was doing his PhD in Canada (Edmonton). His professor wanted to do an interview with me. I had the interview, and I was accepted to PhD program in neuroscience

Thanks Dr. for sharing us your expirience ! may i ask you how was the transition between your previuos work and the PhD program ? It was difficult to ambientate in Canada ?

Diego Ordonez

To start. Since start the doctoral program there was something that I did not enjoyed. Because I was busy I did not put attention to my mind thoughts (I was working 12 hours a day)

Diego Ordonez

The transition was really difficult because I have to deal with a different culture. Canadians are polite, but they are not warm. It is difficult to create strong social bonds with then. This is something that is different is Latin America

Matias Mugnaini
2 minutes ago, Diego Ordonez said:

To start. Since start the doctoral program there was something that I did not enjoyed. Because I was busy I did not put attention to my mind thoughts (I was working 12 hours a day)

Hi Diego! What do you mean with your "mind thoughts"? It has something to do with doing a lot of things like experiments without thinking about the whys or something?

Stephanie Vose

Previous question: Regarding with the anxiety, what was his experience involving the whole academic structure to cope with the whole alumni anxiety?

Diego Ordonez

What I mean with my mind thoughts is that It was not happy going to the lab, but I thought that PhD was a great opportunity. The things is that I did not want to complete the PhD, but I did not admitted. I did not put attention to my symptoms of anxiety  

• Sad 1

Manuel Giraldo Velasquez

Hi everybody. I am Manuel Giraldo. I am student of the National autonomous universy of México. Grettings from here!!

Julian Naizaque
10 minutes ago, Diego Ordonez said:

This professor was happy with my resume. I had a medical degree, and a master in Neuroscience that was focused on the role of ApoE on autophagia. She saw a great potential because I finished my master in 2 year in a country (Colombia) that is difficult to do research in a short period of time ? 

Hello Dr Ordonez, I'm Julian Naizaque, I'm from Bogota, Colombia. According with your experience, how could the time spent in a master degree affect the admission to a PhD possition? 

3 minutes ago, Diego Ordonez said:

The transition was really difficult because I have to deal with a different culture. Canadians are polite, but they are not warm. It is difficult to create strong social bonds with then. This is something that is different is Latin America

Thanks for your answer ! Sure it was, i imagine how different are our cultures

Diego Ordonez

I withdraw from the program and I started a Bachelor in Management Technology. I just finished last week. My idea is combine my skills in management, research and health care to work in the industry. To work in the industry, employers need a workforce with managerial skills that I did not have

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Diego Ordonez said:

I still work 12 hours a day, very often ! 

Diego Ordonez
1 minute ago, Julian Naizaque said:

Hello Dr Ordonez, I'm Julian Naizaque, I'm from Bogota, Colombia. According with your experience, how could the time spent in a master degree affect the admission to a PhD possition? 

Hi Julian, a Master degree opens great opportunities for a PhD. But also, keep in mind that networking has a more powerful effect

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Diego Ordonez said:

Diego Ordonez

other thing is that everybody should have a plan.......What is your plan after your master or doctoral degree?, how do you see in the future

Just now, Diego Ordonez said:

My message is that we have to be sure that we want to do a PhD. We need passion for a doctoral program

Definitely

• Like 1

Sofia Gallino

Hi Julian, a Master degree opens great opportunities for a PhD. But also, keep in mind that networking has a more powerful effect

HI!!! it is pleasure , what do you refer  with networking?   

Diego Ordonez
10 minutes ago, Manuel Giraldo Velasquez said:

Hi everybody. I am Manuel Giraldo. I am student of the National autonomous universy of México. Grettings from here!!

3 minutes ago, Marangelie Criado Marrero said:

Hi Dr. Ordonez, can you elaborate on what managerial skills are key to transition to industry?

One core pilar for the industry is leadership. You have interact with people in a team, where collaboration is essential. For instance a manager in research fluent communication is critical. Other technical area is the use of quality management techniques (Pareto chart, fish bone diagram, run charts...)

Diego Ordonez
3 minutes ago, Sofia Gallino said:

HI!!! it is pleasure , what do you refer  with networking?   

Networking is a social interaction where you can advertise your background to future employers or principal investigators. You do this national or international meetings by talking with everybody about your experiences 

Javier Palma-Espinosa
19 minutes ago, Stephanie Vose said:

Previous question: Regarding with the anxiety, what was his experience involving the whole academic structure to cope with the whole alumni anxiety?

UP

Julian Naizaque
9 minutes ago, Diego Ordonez said:

My message is that we have to be sure that we want to do a PhD. We need passion for a doctoral program

How did you realize you want to quit the PhD possition? 

Diego Ordonez
11 minutes ago, Marangelie Criado Marrero said:

Hi Dr. Ordonez, can you elaborate on what managerial skills are key to transition to industry?

The industry also wants people that are willing to introduce a culture of innovation and change. There are specific courses that teach how to do this process. Innovation and change has a correlation with productivity and profit

Diego Ordonez
1 minute ago, Julian Naizaque said:

How did you realize you want to quit the PhD possition? 

There was a moment that my lab problems move to my home problems. I started to have problems with my wife. I had poor communitcation with her. I started to talk with a psychiatrist, and he started a pharmacological treatment

Diego Ordonez

There was a moment that my lab problems move to my home problems. I started to have problems with my wife. I had poor communitcation with her. I started to talk with a psychiatrist, and he started a pharmacological treatment

the treatment also include meditation. I am still practicing meditation. By the way this is something that managerial programs and corporations are implementing. meditation increases creativity; this, in turn, increment productivity and profit  

1 minute ago, Diego Ordonez said:

Do you think that it was anxiety? It seems to me that you were depressed for not being happy with what you were doing than having an anxiety issue