Introduce yourself and get to know us!

Andrew Chen

Hey everyone! As I'm sure everyone knows, the Society for Neuroscience is a global community full of different people, experiences, and expertise.

Post in this thread to help everyone get to know you and what kind of cool research you do!

I'll start¬†ūüėĄ

I'm Andrew, and I just graduated a year ago from the University of Virginia in Dan Meliza's lab with a PhD in neuroscience studying the physiology and development of the zebra finch central auditory system. Before that I got my Bachelor's degree at Johns Hopkins and worked in Hey-Kyoung Lee's lab studying synaptic scaling in binocular visually-deprived mice. I'm an electrophysiologist by trade so if there are any fellow patch-clampers out there, I would love to know who you are! In my spare time you'll find me hanging out with my dog, riding my motorcycles, playing various video games, and watching Schitt's Creek!

Hugo Sanchez-Castillo

Hello everybody... I'm Hugo, I do my research in Mexico in the neurobiology of stress field. I have a PhD in behavioral neuroscience. I did my postdoctoral studies at the Columbia University in the State of New York. We work with rats to find the neurobehavioral correlates of stress, besides we are starting to work with octopuses memory and stress. I have three cats (Nina, Lilu and she-bacon) and five dogs (Legolas, Tamy, Skinny, Pepper and Trufa).

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I'm David and I a postdoc at the National Institute on Drug Abuse in Baltimore, MD, studying a rat model of opioid relapse. I graduated a little over 2 years ago from University of Pennsylvania's Neuroscience Graduate Group and studied feeding behavior in Matt Hayes' lab. I am very interested in promoting diversity and inclusion in the research community. Outside of lab I enjoy playing basketball and relaxing when I get the chance.

• Like 1

Neuroplastic greetings and warm regards from Malaysia. I am Wael, a physician neuroscientist with MD, PhD in neuroscience/psychology from Huck institute of life science, PSU. I worked on MPH and animal model of ADHD along with MDMA addiction. Currently I am working in Malaysia and interested in translational brain research specially neurodegenerative disorders in both animal model and humans. I like playing Squash and Jogging. 

• Like 1

Manish Asthana

Hallo Everyone,

I am Manish from India, my collaboration with SFN has been more than 5-years. First time I attended SFN meeting in 2011 at Washington D.C. and since then i have been sharing my views and ideas at this platform though sometime I am very passive and go to hibernate state but I encourage you to contact me in case you need any suggestion or guidance with your early career or basic social cognitive neuroscience research. My primary area of research is fear memory and its modulation using exposure therapy,cognitive behavioral therapy, and tDCS. Further, I am also doing some cross-cultural research if anyone interested in such studies feel free to contact me at: asthanakm@gmail.com.

I have been to many cultures and I understand the challenges an individuals face to adapt the new society and culture. Hence, if anyone seeks mentoring or guidance feel free to discuss.

Greetings from India.

Manish

• Like 1

Deborah Zelinsky

Hi!   I'm Deborah Zelinsky, an optometrist from Chicago.   In 1992, I stumbled onto the scientific phenomenon of being able to alter auditory space by using eyeglasses.   When I showed my fellow optometrists, they thought I was weird, so I started attending neuroscience groups where my wild thoughts were accepted.   Now, fast forward close to 30 years, and I have a patented test with a protocol known worldwide, have been helping people with brain injuries and neurodegenerative conditions and genetic disorders.   And, the current research documents lots of interactions between eyes and ears, as the retina is part of the central nervous system.   Now, since the 20/20 testing was invented to standardize optometry in the year 1862, and the Mind-Eye Institute is leading a campaign for the year 2020 (get it, an optometrist in the year 20/20?) called "Leave 20/20 in the 20th Century!"   We are trying to update the way eye testing is being done -- to emphasize brain circuitry and comfort rather than simply eyesight and have people all over the world interested in the research!  

The Society for Neuroscience members are incredible, and it's thrilling to have the opportunity to tell others about sfn and neuronline.  Would love to discuss eye/ear connections with fellow members.  And how that interaction is affected by input from proprioceptors.  In other words, how sensory and motor systems intertwine and why eyeglasses can be designed for many things other than seeing.  In addition to that, we are playing with retinal neuromodulation.  It's the future of optometry!

• Like 1

• Andrew Chen featured and unfeatured this topic
Amanda Labuza

Hi Everyone! I'm Amanda Labuza. I am a senior graduate student at the University of Maryland, Baltimore. I'm finishing my PhD in neuroscience where I study how protein-protein interactions regulate calcium levels is astrocytes and muscles. I'm currently trying to finish up and transition into an academic post-doc. You can keep up with my dissertation progress on my blog or check out some of my other posts on advocacy and outreach. I'm looking forward to interacting with you all and having some great discussions in 2020!

• Like 1

Rafaella Goncalves

Hi Everyone!

I`m Rafaella. I am a PhD student at Queen`s University (Canada) interested in understanding the molecular basis underlying the link between Alzheimer`s Disease and Type 2 diabetes. More specifically, I am studying the role of tau protein in these events. I received my Bachelor`s degree in Biological Sciences at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) and my MSc degree in Medical Biochemistry at the same university in conjunction with the University of Toronto (Canada). In addition to Neuroscience, a have a passion for physical activity. I love being active and I find on exercise a way to refresh my mind and body after a long day of work. I am looking forward to know and interact with all of you! 

• Like 1

Nazeerah Abdul Rahman

Hi guys,

I am Nazeerah. New here!. MSc. graduate in Neuroscience from Malaysia. Glad to be here! Are you guys from which country? Do follow me OK I will follow you back¬†ūüôā

Edited by Nazeerah Abdul Rahman
sentences added
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Nazeerah Abdul Rahman said:

Hi guys,

I am Nazeerah. New here!. MSc. graduate in Neuroscience from Malaysia. Glad to be here! Are you guys from which country? Do follow me OK I will follow you back¬†ūüôā

Hi Nazeerah! Welcome to the Neuronline Community, what field of research are you in? I know that @Wael Mohamed is also from Malaysia!

Nazeerah Abdul Rahman
13 hours ago, Andrew Chen said:

Hi Nazeerah! Welcome to the Neuronline Community, what field of research are you in? 

@Andrew ChenMy research more in Brain Computer Interface, Neurophysiology, Neurobiology, EEG-ERP application in neurological related diseases as well in cognition. I will activate or renew membership since soon to be able to join the Community Leaders. Thanks.

Edited by Nazeerah Abdul Rahman
  • Like 1