Just one season of football without a concussion is enough

Michael Oberdorfer

Michael Oberdorfer

A recent report in Science by researchers at the University of Rochester shows that playing just one season of collegiate football without any diagnosed concussions can still cause lasting brain damage.
The researchers have also established a database, “The Open Brain Project,” where players wearing helmets equipped with accelerometers can upload helmet data as a means of continuing the study.

Football season is upon us, practice and exhibition games are well underway, but what long term effects should players expect?

Your thoughts.

Michael Oberdorfer

This is a sad price that many will be paying for years to come, and the impact on the healthcare system will not be insignificant.
Mike Oberdorfer

Michael Oberdorfer

I should have said more. I’m referring to the brain damage this study shows that it’s caused by subconcussion impacts.

• 2 weeks later...
Gabriella Panuccio

Unfortunately, there is a huge business behind sports. Typically, soccer players get their knees destroyed, but, due to contractual bounds, they are forced to play being stuffed with pain killers and anti-inflammatory drugs…until they drop and become ‘useless for the business’. For business, I mean millions. It tells a lot how much the health and life of a human being are valued. To me a human life is priceless; to them it’s worth what they have paid to buy the soccer player.
Going back to concussions, the boxer dementia is a fact and not so sporadic. Unfortunately, the consequences of repeated head traumas are only clinically and subjectively evident in the long-term, so I think that sports professionals tend to disregard such traumas and postpone any worries to next 1-2 decades to come.

loads of research papers are published every month for post-TBI treatments, although I’m not sure it’ll get resolved anytime soon.

Gabriella Panuccio

I didn’t want to write this, but, yes, I think that, unfortunately, human ego outclasses the power of survival instinct and species preservation, as well as the good sense.

Michael Oberdorfer

Maybe, but Mike Webster famed center of the Steelers who had CTE and was featured in " League of Denial" basically lived out of his truck apart from his family despite being well known and paid for many years of pro football and college football at U of Wisconsin. Also, parents are increasinlgly keeping their kids from playing youth football, a nightmare scenario for the NFL