Abstract Submission Live Chat

aabdullah

aabdullah

Join the Abstract Submission Live Chat | Wednesday, April 18, 2-3 p.m. EDT

Do you have any burning questions about submitting an abstract for Neuroscience 2018? Join us on April 18 for an online discussion on Neuronline with Kang Shen, Chair of the Program Committee, and Ellen Lumpkin, Theme D Chair of the Program Committee. Don’t miss your chance to chat directly with abstract reviewers!

Participants are encouraged to submit questions in advance of the live chat in the discussion thread below.

Related Resources:

https://community.sfn.org/t/about-the-abstract-topic-matching-forum-category/279
Submit abstracts at http://www.sfn.org/cfa

Facilitators

Kang Shen, PhD
Kang Shen is a professor of neuronal cell biology in the department of biology at Stanford University. He is also an investigator in the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Kang’s research focuses on the dendrite morphogenesis, neuronal polarization and synapse formation. He earned his Bachelor of Medicine degree from Tongji Medical University from China, his Ph. D. degree from Duke University and completed postdoctoral training from the University of California San Francisco.

Ellen A Lumpkin, PhD
Ellen A. Lumpkin is an associate professor of physiology & cellular biophysics and of somatosensory biology (in dermatology) at Columbia University. She is also Co-Director of the Thompson Family Foundation Initiative in Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy & Sensory Neuroscience. She previously was a Sandler Fellow in the department of physiology at UC San Francisco and an assistant professor of neuroscience, physiology & molecular biophysics, and molecular & human genetics at Baylor College of Medicine. Lumpkin’s research focuses on genes, cells and neural signals that give rise to skin sensations such as touch, pain and itch. Dr. Lumpkin earned her BS in Animal Science from Texas Tech University and performed her PhD training at UT Southwestern Medical Center and The Rockefeller University. She completed her postdoctoral training at the University of Washington.

• 1 month later...
Janel Johnson

Good afternoon and welcome to the Abstract Submission Live Chat! We’ll be getting started at 2 p.m. EDT. Feel free to start posting your questions!

aabdullah

Submitted question:

I don’t have my results from my project yet. If I’ll have them in time for the meeting can I still submit an abstract now?

normall, i would suggest my students to wait until they have some results before submitting an abstract because that is the best way to get feedbacks from the meeting attendees

For some fields, ‘registered reports’ are becoming a common way to transparently report the experimental design of a study at its beginning. In that case, an abstract that describes such a study could be appropriate.

I realize that this may very difficult but has there been any consideration to reduce the number of poster abstracts or abstracts in general. The last time I went to SFN i spent most of my time trying to reach a room or poster session. It becomes somewhat frustrating to try to deal with all of the information and the exhibits. The SFN has become a massive overload of information.

I was a bit confused on how to pick the theme an abstract falls under. We want to demonstrate a new way of analyzing human data using a new software tool. Would this be I.07.a or I.07.c?

Janel Johnson

Hi! I’d recommend using the curated itineraries, available on the Neuroscience Meeting Planner, to narrow down sessions that you many be interested in at the meeting. The curated itineraries are topic-based schedules made by Program Committee members, our resident neuroscience experts! Check out the topics from 2017 at www.sfn.org/nmp. This year’s curated itinerary topics will be made available when the NMP launches in late-August.

Placing your abstract within an appropriate theme and topic is an important consideration for getting your presentation sessioned with similar abstracts! One approach is to create a linking group with your lab mates and other colleagues who work in similar fields. This will alert program members to abstracts that should be placed together on the poster floor or in a nanosymposium.

With regard to your specific question, I.07.c seems like a good choice for your abstract. I recommend that you list I.07.a as a second choice, so that the sessioner can place your abstract with similar ones during sessioning.

i also usually tell my students to make an priority tier list. Cover the most relevant and important abstracts first, before moving down to the list. This way, you won’t end up spending too much time on things that are not essential.

That an approach but really does not solve all of the problems. I have been going to SFN meetings since 1984 just to let you know that I am not a new comer.
The distance between the first poster and the last one seems to be about one mile or maybe even more. The distance between the session rooms are even worse.
Thank you

I struggle with meeting fatigue and information overload at many conferences. One strategy is to build in some downtime to regroup each day. I go for a run or drop into a museum for half an hour.

Remember, SfN is a scientific buffet - no one expects you to ‘taste’ every dish!

• Contact your colleagues to form a linking group of exciting abstracts that fit into a cohesive topic.

• The nano topic should be timely, exciting and include abstracts with new results. Each abstract should indicate that a nanosymposium is preferred.

• The linking group should have 7-14 abstracts, with no more than two abstracts from any one group.

• When you submit the linking group, write a punchy and compelling description for why the nano is timely and exciting.

• Don’t forget to propose yourself as the nano chair!

Good luck!

Well that’s an approach but not one that solves my concerns. I attend meetings for information. We come from outside of the USA to attend these meetings so it is important to gain as much information as possible. It is also important that we receive feedback from our research. I have been going to smaller meetings that are more focused on my line of research.I regret because I never missed a SFN meeting from 1984 to 2000.

most of the abstracts contain original data. However, if the analyses of existing literature offers original, novel ideas, that would also be appropriate for an abstract.

I gather that this practice is discouraged for abstract submissions (although it wasn’t explicitly stated), to refine this question, is it within the expectations of SfN abstracts to submit based on partial results, or does the entire project intended for a poster need to be completed?

Select a first choice and second choice that you feel are the closest to your field. You can also discuss your abstract with colleagues in your field to find out what themes and topics they typically select. Finally, feel free to contact program@sfn.org with comments that will be passed on to the program committee. Good luck!

We appreciate this concern. As researchers, we go to different type of meetings. The value of SFN as many see it is the all inclusive nature of the meeting that allows one to view a field in a most updated view. In some ways, gather a big picture. There are clearly other much smaller and more focused meeting that one can gather more focused and concentrated information in a particular fileld.

aabdullah

Submitted question:

I am writing to ask about the confidentiality policy of abstracts submitted for the SfN annual meeting. If the submitted abstracts are sent to reviewers, Is it possible to protect the confidentiality of the data?

If I were independently wealthy I would attend SFN every year solely for the enjoyment of being at this meeting which I do miss. Not the case so I have choose.

I look forward to seeing everyone at San Diego and learning the exciting new progresses. Submit your abstracts, find your linking groups and be part of this years SFN.

Janel Johnson

Yes, membership with SfN is required for abstract submission. All members, except for affiliate members, are allowed to submit abstracts. For more information on membership and the array of benefits that come with it, visit www.sfn.org/membership.

Janel Johnson

This a great question! We encourage all submitters to start and finalize their submissions as early as possible. Remember, if your abstract is finalized by the submission deadline of Thursday, May 3, 5 p.m. EDT, you can make edits to your finalized abstract until the editing deadline of Monday, May 7, 5 p.m. EDT. So even if you obtain new information after your abstract is finalized, you will be able to make edits to your abstract until Monday, May 7, 5 p.m. EDT.

Janel Johnson

Thank you all for attending today’s live chat! And a special thank you to our moderators Kang Shen and Ellen Lumpkin! If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us at program@sfn.org. Happy Abstract Submitting Season!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.