Collins statement on Animal research

Michael Oberdorfer

Michael Oberdorfer

In an interview this week with The Washington Examiner, NIH Director Francis Collins reaffirmed the importance of animal models in NIH-funded research.

In the interview which covered a number of topics, Collins remarks were in response to PETA’s support for cuts to the NIH budget, specifically funds involving animal research.

Collins stated: “I think NIH is very focused on making sure that animal studies are done in the most ethical way possible, but also very convinced there are things we can learn from animal studies that will help people with terrible diseases that we otherwise can’t quite learn.”

• 4 weeks later...
Katinka Stecina

This is a very consistent position from not only Collins but NIH entirely. Valuing basic science is behind this - in part. This attitude is the secret to productive FUTURE research outcomes. Although, this remains a different kind of secret to many other agencies - for example, in Canada, unfortunately… and basic (often animal-model based work) gets less monetary support than other types of work. Thanks again to Dr. Collins for advocating for basic science and for educating our society about this. I would like to know how others feel about the situation of basic (animal-model based) research? I am being paranoid by feeling always close the edge as a basic scientist? Please, others, share your thoughts here.