Childhood Vaccination and Autism

Michael Oberdorfer

Michael Oberdorfer

The Washington Post reports that President-elect Donald Trump contemplates establishing a commission on vaccine safety, particularly the relationship between vaccines and autism. He recently met with Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. a long time proponent of this relationship.

The association between childhood vaccination and autism has been debunked in numerous studies including one published in The Journal of Pediatrics.

Is this an example of what the scientific community will be facing in the Trump administration?

• 2 weeks later...

The example you provided above seems like it will be reflecting the administration. As you said, there are numerous studies describing that there is NO relationship between vaccines and autism. It only provides more evidence that the Trump administration pick and choose their “facts”.

I thought this article was extremely helpful in breaking down science and Trump: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/01/president-trump-and-science-ten-things-look-and-fear

As for those of us in academe, it might be a good time to reintroduce in our courses (if possible) why the relationship between childhood vaccines and autism was debunked. In an biology intro course, one of my professors did a segment on vaccines and autism, and the students learned much from it.

Does any have any ideas or thoughts around how to address this topic in lectures?

Michael Oberdorfer

Thanks for your input. I agree that we need to be more in the mix given the current climate (no pun intended.)
Mike O.