Live Chat - 2016 Uruguay Course Experiences

Cashen Almstead

Cashen Almstead

Join Fellows Dulce Arzate and Giovanne Baroni as they lead a discussion about the 2016 course in Uruguay and their experiences.

Maria A. González-González

Hello dear LATP community, I hope you are doing very well in your professional carriers, it has been a pleassure to be part of this great expirience.

Giovanne Diniz

Good afternoon, everyone!

I’m Giovanne Baroni, a 4th year PhD candidate here at University of São Paulo, Brazil. I am also one of the LATP fellows that participated in the 2016 Montevideo School!

I’ll be happy to take questions and share our experience with the School and in the 2017 Meeting in Washington DC!

Don’t forget to tell us from where you are so we can get to know you better!

Hello Giovanne! great to hear about you, I´m Alejandra González, I joined the LATP community being PhD candidate at Institute of Neurobiology in UNAM, México, now I´m doing my postdoc at University of Texas at Dallas.

Well, being part of the course in Uruguay gave me a lot of satisfactions. I learnt about many interesting topics that where unknown for me. Especially the ones related to electrophysiology

Giovanne Diniz

Hello Alejandra!

That’s awesome, the University of Texas is an amazing place to be!

Our group has a great collaboration with researchers from Querétaro, we’re developing some nice projects together!

It’s nice to have you here in the discussion!

Thank you so much, I really enjoy the scientific networks, so I´m very happy to be part of this community, lets share your experiences please =0)

Giovanne Diniz

It’s noteworthy that we had researchers with multiple backgrounds!

Some of our teachers were from Uruguay, some from other places in Latin America (Argentina and Chile) and some from the US or Europe. It was nice to have such diverse cast of lecturers and speakers with us!

Also we had the opportunity to networking, as we are doing it right now. Maybe if the associates talk about their research interest we can establish a new network or suggest people for collaboration

Do you think it changes your expectatives about research and if so… how? Did you change your direction after the course?

Giovanne Diniz

I think the course stimulated my will to keep doing research…

We had amazing lecturers, so by the end of the course I was thinking how much I want to be one of the lecturers someday, share good science with new students and help them achieve their goals. Of course we have to excel to be able to do that, so that’s how the School “boosted” by research career!

guadalupegomar3

I think that is a very good opportunity to learn and discover new research lines and making some future possible collaborations. I would also like to hear what would you think it can change of the LATP for ameliorate the program.

Hello Alejandra, I am Angelica and for me, it was really interesting to learn different techniques to apply to my research question, open my mind to do more research using new technologies, so now I am in a new lab finishing my PhD in Netherlands!

The course gives you the opportunity to discuss your research with pioneers in the field, They can suggest you some experiments, etc. Moreover, you can get a doctoral or postdoctoral position

Giovanne Diniz

I can relate a personal experience.

One of our lectures, Prof. Alberto Pereda, presented us his work about electrical synapses. I had the opportunity to discuss my results with him, he made several suggestions and then connected me with researchers in the University of Colorado that were the only group to perform the kind of experiment I needed for some new questions. Those researchers gave me new protocols that allowed me to incorporate a new line of research to my PhD thesis

Hi Angelica!
great to hear that from you, and more that you are finishing your PhD abroad, it is gratifying to know this “expansion” and participation in international environments from we, Latin American people.

I was Trully surprised how big is our field of research. In my case, the opportunity of joinning the LATP community let me relise in how many other fields can be the neuroscience be involved. It was the impulse to jump to other fields and bring the neuroscience with me that I needed. And of course I met amazing people!

Great, Giovanne! That was a wonderful experience!

In my case, I really take advantage of one of the lab practices. That hands-on session was led by Patricia Cassina and their group. They shared some protocols to establish a new glial culture in my lab, and helped to answer some questions

Maria Torres Garcia

Hi,
I’m Evelina Torres from Mexico, Actually I’m at the end of my PhD. Personally, I enjoy the school, since i saw different views that i had not contemplated for my career

Giovanne Diniz

That’s awesome, Dulce!

Although not a collaboration per se, I was very glad to write a book chapter about MCH and Sleep with my supervisor this year. The book editor was Prof. Torterolo, one of our teachers. It is nice how we end up meeting our speakers and teachers of the School in our professional endeavors.

Maria Torres Garcia

Mainly, I was very impressed with the topic of “scientific rigor” and therefore decided to specialize in statistical methods before doing my postdoc

Hi Guadalupe, I´m thinking in a may be crazy idea, may be not… after complete the course have the posibility and oportunity to join some of the groups that gived the curses for some extra period of time, choosing the group that more is alike to your interests, perhaps one or two months, so that you can learn more in a personilized maner and incorporate more knowledge that you can apply to your research,

daylin.gongora

Hi, my name is Daylin and I am a PhD student from Cuban Neuroscience Center. I think this was a great opportunity to connect with international colleagues. The program is a perfect frame to learn and received valuable feedback from the people that can understand you the most, other students in the same scientific struggle.

After that webinar I had the chance to talk with my PI and Parters to set up new protocols with animals. Now we are more awere of some things.

Hi Guadalupe, you are right, I didn´t met you in person, but yes, I did my master and PhD with Dr. Ataulfo, what about you?

guadalupegomar3

I think that is a great idea, I have not thought about it, thanks for your reply, although it most be a little bit difficult it can open many different collaborations and future perspectives in our careers.

Thank you, Guadalupe!

On the other hand, the SfN staff gave us the opportunity to participate with a poster in the last SfN annual meeting. I know for some of the other fellows that this was their first time they attended, someone wants to talk about this experience?

guadalupegomar3

I was also at UNAM working with MRI in humans with Dr. Concha and last week I started my postdoc at Massachussets General Hospital. I will keep working with patients and MRI. Congrats for your postdoc position at Texas! And nice to meet you!

Giovanne Diniz

I think it would be great to hear from SfN the changes they implement from one year to another… Since we do weekly evaluations of the course, I’d like to see what complaints were actually acknowledged and what changed… Sometimes the evaluations we did feel a bit “empty” since we didn’t really have a feedback of the organizers about our opinions of the School…

I belive it would be helpfull if we are assing a kind of “mentor”, one of the profesors from the LATP program in order to stick in touch after the trainning. A more close relation that let u ask some questions or doubts perhaps.

Really, that`s a shame. But I´m happy to read about you and your postdoc position in Texas! I’m still working with adult neurogenesis, I hope we can be in touch!

guadalupegomar3

For me it was the first time to attend to this meeting and it was very exciting. I met different people on my field and I establish possible future collaboration for trying to learn new tools for my analysis. So I am very grateful of being a LATP fellow for having all this “open door” for keeping in research!

Hi Evelina, Scientific rigor i think is a very important topic and is higly necessary to incorporate in the daily life in research… which wasn´t before… I think is a way to propel the successfull research… by doing small but important things in the daily live.

guadalupegomar3

Hi Giovanne!

I completely agree! I know that this LATP course was great in many aspects and I really appreciate the SFN effort of having this wonderful and productive program. Although I think that it can be better, so we must do an effort of trying to accomplish this aim for future generations! I would love to know what issues can have an improvement like the program of our 2016 LATP. Since I would like to have more behavioral conferences. There might be a way of taking which changes they implement to the program.

daylin.gongora

For me it was very interesting the webminar about how to write grants. Being from an underdeveloped country and with a limited amount of resources make me need desperately to learn how to get funds for our research. I will take advantage on the suggestions received in that webminar. Thanks