Sign in to follow this  
neuronline_admin

Gene Therapy to Address Unmet Needs in Neurology

mstreitz

Submitted Question:

Have any viral vectors to knock genes in vivo using CRISPR-based strategies in the adult brain efficiently been developed?

miguel.esteves

Great question. In mice it definitely does. I am aware of one paper comparing transduction in young and adult mice after direct infusion into either the substantia nigra or striatum and there are differences. Also there is a paper from Aravind Asokan showing changes in distribution of a water channel with age that affects considerably the distribution of AAV delivered into CSF. Also we know that delivery of AAV9 in neonatal mice is more efficient than in adult mice, but this difference appears to be more moderate in non-human primates. However to my knowledge there are no studies comparing systemic delivery in young adult mice vs 1-1.5 year old mice, which of course may be critical for translation to neurological diseases with late onset. Really important studies that need to be done.

aabdullah

Submitted question:

What is the current state of non-viral approaches?

miguel.esteves

Yes Feng Zheng in some of his papers has shown this to work quite well, but done before the advent of AAV-PHP.B and AAV-PHP.eB and thus done by direct intraparenchymal injection. I am sure the same strategy can be employed using AAV-PHP.eB since co-transduction of neurons and other cell types upon delivery of two vectors is quite effective. This of course only applies for the larger Cas9 proteins. For the smaller ones a single AAV vector may be enough to carry the Cas9 and gRNA.