Concerns of a Mid-Career Investigator

Kimberly Raab-Graham

Kimberly Raab-Graham

I think this is an important time to advise NIH what the struggles are for a midcareer investigator. This is a good place to post concerns. Does someone want to start?

• 3 weeks later...

Where to begin! Many challenges aren’t unique to mid-career, only the context is a bit different. A big one for me is time management and prioritizing. We still need to balance tasks that pay our salary (teaching, research on funded projects) with those that ensure we still have a job in 5 years (grants, new projects). We are also expected to do service to our university, journals and NIH. For example, reviewing 10 grant proposals (not an unusual load for study section) can take 40 hours - a week of work! Who has that kind of free time? But without the experience of study section, you won’t see what is well received and what is criticized.

• 10 months later...
Kimberly Raab-Graham

@DLRobinson - Great advice! I think the advantage of being at the Mid-Career stage is that you usually have a lab that with postdocs and/or senior graduate students who help train new students. I have been a bit surprised by the shift in responsibility. It’s exciting! Our “hats” keep evolving.