Fundraising for Outreach

pizbicki

Does anyone have any ideas for fundraising (aside for an SfN chapter grant) for outreach equipment? Our outreach program has been growing, and we are looking to invest in new equipment as well as replace older equipment.

First I would look within the institution. If you are involving students, you can make a case that your outreach events are experiential learning. Promoting science within your state may also be part of the mission of a state-supported university. Talk to department chairs and staff in the graduate education or postdoc offices to get started. Department chairs i particular may have funds to donate for your cause, especially if you involve their students/postdocs in your events.
Second, there is nothing like a good-ole fundraiser. Student groups at my institution (UNC) often host lunches and bake sales to raise money. You can advertise the equipment or supplies that you want to purchase and ask for sponsors.
If you cannot find any funds within your institution, check out local utility companies and co-ops, which may have small grants for education purposes, especially when they target underserved communities. Another option is to approach a business, such as a scientific supplier, to see if they have funds to donate for outreach/education activities in exchange for recognition at your event.
Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...