Extraordinary and Poor - Science Careers Article

pizbicki

Here is an interesting article I read on Science Careers that mirrors a lot of my own concerns and concerns of graduate students I know. However, it seems like in academia it is not a topic that is openly discussed (for whatever reason).

Please let me know your thoughts and comments.

• 2 weeks later...

What an insightful article. I have often heard the phrase “sacrificing for science” during my time in graduate school and have wondered if that is necessary. Thanks for sharing!

• 2 weeks later...

I think every graduate student, postdoc, and early career scientist struggles with the choice. I have to remind my family periodically that I love science (academic science) even with all the peer review, grant funding and salary woes. However, I have a husband with a much larger salary to support my family. I hope that I would continue to do what I love even if I were the primary earner.

My advice if earnings are vital to the scientist–postdoc or obtain graduate education in a funded lab with a well-known PI in the field. Connections are everything. I honestly don’t know how the author could get a second job, academic science is 24/7 (Light humor).

Thoughtful topic pizbicki!

It is for this reason I did not have children. I was sort of like this guy money was not an issue but no one was being deprived nor did I depend on my family. I dedicated my life and reason for being on the face of the earth to my research. No regrets. I would never have been able to balance research with a second job though.