What are your plans after graduate school?

Grace_Fox

As I near the end of my time in graduate school, I am contemplating my options for the future. In addition to academia and industry, I am considering alternative routes such as IP law and technology transfer.

I am interested to know your plans after you graduate. Have you decided yet?

-Grace
Student Neuronline Contributor

Monique Mendes

I am at the beginning of my graduate career and the good thing about the University of Rochester is that they have a URBEST program. I have not started looking into jobs just yet but I have completed an Individual development plan (which I thought was interesting and I encourage anyone to complete and IDP). I have also looked into the URBEST program, it essentially provides you with opportunities in a variety of fields including but not limited to science communication, teaching and science policy.

Do you have a program or workshops at your institution that provide opportunities such as internships for you to explore a variety of career paths? Have you completed an IDP?

I am interested in your input and other student members of neuroline.

-Monique

• 2 weeks later...

I am strongly considering applying to medical school after my PhD. I would love to have an opportunity to also be able to work with people in a clinical setting. :grinning:

That’s great! I’m sure that program will be very helpful. What fields interest you?

And yes, my institution provides a variety of seminars and workshops to aid in career development. I recently completed an IDP and have found it to be quite helpful.

-Grace

Wonderful! We definitely need people to bridge the bench-to-bedside gap. Are you doing basic science or clinical research for your PhD?

Monique Mendes

Hi Grace, I’m glad you found the IDP helpful. Its something all graduate students in the medical center at my institution are required to do as a part of annual evaluations.

I thought the sections where you have to set up short term and long term goals to be most helpful.

-Monique

Hi Grace,
Thank you for the enthusiasm and interest! For my PhD, I am doing clinical research into the neurophysiology of music training on cognitive and motor inhibition in human subjects using transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) and electroencephalography (EEG). In short, it is a combination of basic and clinical research.

How about you?!

Patricia

Monique,
That is a great ideal for institutions to require grad students to do the IDP as part of annual evals. I will share that with our program here at ISU. I’ve found it to be an extremely helpful resource.

Patricia

Hi Patricia,

That is very interesting! And it’s great that you get to work at the intersection of basic and clinical research.

My research focuses on understanding the involvement of the dopaminergic system in psychiatric disorders, such as post-traumatic stress disorder and depression. I am also very interested in how cell assemblies encode categorical experiences, transforming them into both specific memories and generalized knowledge. My research is basic in nature, and I use a combination of large-scale recording and various genetic techniques.