Does it Take Effort for Bilingual Speakers to Switch between Languages? It Depends

eb134

Material below summarizes the article, Bilingual Language Switching in the Lab vs. in the Wild: The Spatio-Temporal Dynamics of Adaptive Language Control, published on August 16, 2017, in JNeurosci and authored by Esti Blanco-Elorrieta and Liina Pylkkänen.

Link back to full article

• 7 months later...

I am bilingua:l French and English. My native language is English spoke as a child French became my adult language as well as my professional language ( Did my graduate work in France) I found it was easier for me to speak French. The expressions in French were very precise and to the point and full of humor and when I tried to translate them into English I was always searching for an equivalent. I translated many times for my family since I was married to a non english speaking Frenchman and his non english speaking family. I would usually get caught up in a conversation and forget to translate until one party seemed to be demanding a translation. The advantage of being bilingual was that I understood all parties with no effort what so ever. . In fact I even translated for conference put on by Nestle ( Guigoz). I did not do simultaneous translations but I translated the recorded transcripts from English into French. I translated the transcript for the Nobel prize winner Torsten Wiesel. Being bilingual has had huge advantages for me. Keep up your interesting work.

I’m bilingual between Chinese and English. It’s easy to understand both languages by myself during a conversation, but I find it really hard to find actual equivalents for some phrases. Especially when from Chinese to English.

• 3 weeks later...
Gabriella Panuccio

I am Italian but I’m also very fluent in English, as if it were my second language. I confess at times I have difficulties expressing myself in my native language. And this turns out to sound so weird at times, because I feel as if somehow I have lost the ability of communicating in my own language. I need to think in order to switch back to Italian. Maybe this is due to the fact that I am surrounded by English: at work; when I read; when I listen to music. In a way, I think my brain has undergone some sort of conditioning.