Organising Scientific Symposium: Another way to collaborate

Manish Asthana

Manish Asthana

Dear Members,

Past few weeks I have been occupied in organising a 3-hours long symposium and I felt that I should share my experience with you all. Collaboration in India is challenging and so I started working on additional research activities. Last year I saw an advertisement by Indian Academy of Neuroscience (IAN-2016) for the symposium call. I decided to organise and so I approached the organisers and they told me to have 4-5 speakers from India or abroad. So the steps I started to follow were as follows:

First step, i worked on a symposium title and abstract.

Second step, i did is that i made a list of potential scientist working in my research domain and I started sending them an invitation.

Third step, after some acceptance from people I send an email. I submitted my proposal to the organisers.

Fourth step, after the acceptance of my proposal I asked all the speakers to provide their abstract to me.

Fifth Step, while attending the symposium I build connections and scientific networks with scientists working in both human and animal studies.

While following these steps I learned that it was not that hard to organise the symposium. It only required a proper planning and direction. I encourage you fellow scientist to look for such opportunities in your respective countries because such activities will be good for collaborations and research experience.

Please let me know what you all think about it?

Thanks for spelling it out - hopefully it seems less daunting to others once you list the steps.
I have organized several symposia myself - I try to organize at least one per year. A critical item is to start early - it takes time to correspond, get abstracts, etc, so you mustn’t wait until the last minute.

Excellent and congratulations on your symposium. Sounds like it will be a great success. Besides the enormous pleasure of doing research one of the most rewarding aspects of my career was organizing a conference series. This conference series usually attracted 100 participants from all over the world and lasted about a week. I had the pleasure to organize it at least 7 times. I really enjoyed the organizational aspects but had to stop because trying to generate funding for this conference became a royal hassle. It is shame because everyone who attended had a great time sharing science and actually many collaborations resulted from this conference. By the way it may seem impossible but I organized the conference before the existence of email had to use the telefax to get the abstracts and then I re wrote them on my computer to get them to a printer for inclusion in the abstract book. Anyway we all had a great time and the memories will last forever.

• 5 months later...