Shedding Light on Serotonergic Neurotransmission in Amygdala Circuits

ayesha.sengupta

ayesha.sengupta

Material below summarizes the article, Control of Amygdala Circuits by 5-HT Neurons via 5-HT and Glutamate Cotransmission, published on February 15, 2017, in JNeurosci and authored by Ayesha Sengupta, Marco Bocchio, David M. Bannerman, Trevor Sharp, and Marco Capogna.

Serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine, 5-HT) is a neurotransmitter implicated in a vast array of sensory, motor, and cognitive functions. Its role in emotional regulation is well-known because selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), drugs that increase extracellular 5-HT levels, are a widely prescribed treatment for depression and anxiety.

Link back to full article

• 3 weeks later...
Katinka Stecina

Thank you for sharing this study here. I will be curious to read the full article with a question in my mind - did you see any increased firing of those cells that were ChR2 positive upon synaptic/or artificial excitation compared to when the ChR2 was not in the cells (but may that was not part of your study series?)
Looking for reading the full paper and I will be probably back with some additional questions…

• 1 month later...
Deborah Zelinsky

174 people viewed this, but only 1 replied…Perhaps we could start a brief discussion on this incredible study?